New Kit: Coopers European Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is I have to go OS on Saturday now and I don't think it will be fermented out by then. I am away for 16 days.

or bottle early.

Do this only if you would like to return from your OS trip to a shrapnell filled residence.

Using the esky and milk bottles full of frozen water I've been able to keep the temp under 18 most of the time, more like 16.

Problem is I have to go OS on Saturday now and I don't think it will be fermented out by then. I am away for 16 days.

I will have a brew fridge by then, so I could drop the whole thing in the brew fridge for while I am away, or bottle early.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

brew fridge, simple if you have temp control, if not, put fridge on highest(warmest) setting and stick fermenter in before you go, should be good for
2 day diacetyl rest when you get home, then crank the fridge down for 2-3 weeks before bottling.

brew fridge, simple if you have temp control, if not, put fridge on highest(warmest) setting and stick fermenter in before you go, should be good for
2 day diacetyl rest when you get home, then crank the fridge down for 2-3 weeks before bottling.

I have temp controller for fridge, haven't used it yet though.
Will google diacetyl rest and go with that.
Not keen on glass everywhere :)
Thanks guys

It will chugg along at 20c, but not nicely,

the yeast is in there making nasty flavours that you will never get rid of.

The coopers Euro makes a nice enough drop but you have gotta be low teens temp wise, 11-14c.
Once you have temp control try just the kit with 1kg LDM or a can of Light extract. 2 months in bottle, yummy.

I brewed it 3 weeks ago just under 20c. Tastes ok. Compaired to some beer you buy in my opinion( not a guru on tasting) I would say it is even better than......quite a few and going to drink one now and save rest for later. Is a lager really that much better when kept cold and at a consistant temp? :icon_cheers:

dont drink anything that has not been in the fridge for at least a week.

Ok, tried this one on the weekend and it's pretty good - my best batch so far. Still got another 4 weeks of conditioning to go.

To me it actually tasted and smelt a lot like a Carlton Draught - probably not great when it's supposed to be more akin to Heineken - good beer never the less.

Bacchus Brewing use S-23 at 19 with excellent results. The only time I used this yeast was in my pre-fridge days during the winter and it probably went at 22 and apart from a slight citrussy note, it turned out pretty good with a brew made purely on light dried malt extract and dex with a bit of Hallertau.

I had wondered about this, but settled for an IPA earlier today when i was in the shop. I might just queue one of these up for when i'm done, 11 to 14 degrees may be a bit hard to come by though as i havent really got anywhere that'll consistantly stay at that temperature.

Is a lager really that much better when kept cold and at a consistant temp?

Particularly if its aussie brewed...vb, CD, west end (shudders)

I like my euro lagers after theyve been in the glass for a minute or so...trumer, urquell, etc

I cooked this one up 2 months ago, bottled 1 month ago, and tasted today. At this stage, I'm very pleased with the result.

Coopers European Lager
25g Hallertau hops
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
Safbrew S-33 yeast

Back