New kid on the block

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a beer enthusiast for some time, and I have now finally got the space to start brewing beer (after many years of wanting to)

I have pretty much got my set up ready and soon to start my first brew.

I just have a quick question. I have a minibar fridge which i would like to set up as a fermentation fridge. I am currently looking at the ink bird ITC308 temp controller with heating belt.

My question is, is this all I need to heat and cool the fridge, is the heat belt sufficient to warm the beer and the controller to turn the fridge off an on to stop/start cooling of the fridge ? Or do I still need to get some form of a tubular heater to warm fridge to correct temp ?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Keen to get started and get it right from the get go.

Thanks

A heat belt in a fridge is fine for heating. An issue with a minibar fridge is making sure you have enough space to fit the fermenter. Consider the height, including an airlock or blow off tube on top. The base of the fridge won’t be flat (because of the condenser) so you’ll probably need a shelf or platform on the base to support the fermenter. Also consider width and depth of the fridge. At some point you might decide you want a bigger or shinier fermenter than what you’re looking at now, so erring on the side of extra fridge space is a good idea.

Yep, not many bar fridges will fit a regular size fermenter in it, i use something like a large bar fridge that is all fridge and easily fits a poly-carbonate FV on a stand or 2 x 25ltr cubes.

I'll show you mine. Its a freezer I picked up off Scumtree. Works a treat.
Yes, a belt will do the job. One of those el'cheapo pads for heating reptiles won't.
Yes, round fermenters are a PITA at times. Especially on wobbly stands.
But I can't deal with the buyers remorse of going back to my $25 bunnings jerry can.
Plus I like to watch the bubbles.

6wSk3cq.jpg

Hi @Dave70,

Yeah ok cool. One question, is it a working freezer or just used as a chamber ? If working what setting would you have it on so it doesn’t get to cold too quick? Or if it’s not working, what stops it getting too warm in summer?

Thanks for the feed back
Corey

Hi @Dave70,

Yeah ok cool. One question, is it a working freezer or just used as a chamber ? If working what setting would you have it on so it doesn’t get to cold too quick? Or if it’s not working, what stops it getting too warm in summer?

Thanks for the feed back
Corey

You just plug the freezer into the 'cooling' holes and the belt heater into the 'heating' holes and then its the inkbirds problem.
The old belt did struggle slightly over winter to hold 22l at the counterintuitive 40 deg that Voss Kveik enjoys.
Some mornings you find it dropped to a near freezing 36 deg. If it actually mattered, you could always us two belts and a double adaptor I spose.

Back