New Kegs vs Second Hand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ester Trub

Reaction score
Just wondering about opinions on new kegs vs second hand?
If price didn't matter would you buy the new ones, or is there some reason that the second hand ones are better?

If price didn't matter you would buy new. But the reason you start brewing is because your a tightarse so price does matter.

My reason for asking is that the new ones feel light weight and cheap.
The old postmix kegs feel heavy and sturdier and I figured maybe they would have a longer life span?

I've seen those ones with the welded steel handles...would be a bit worried about damaging them.
Prefer the older style with the moulded plastic handles.

+1 for secondhand. They dont make them like they used too. Corny kegs were made very well and im guessing not in China. I have a new 9 litre keg and its quality of build, welds etc are nowhere near as good as the corny and schweppes keg I have. So get secondhand if you can.

I'd buy new if I could find a decent quality one worth buying. The only new ones I know off have non sanitary welds, are cheap chinese import shit and are now worth touching, and are a disgrace to the importers. Stay with a corny keg and although it wont look bling, it will give many good years of service.

+1 for used corny kegs - got a couple of ex-pepsi ones and have not had an issue.

I think the new style ones can't go above pouring pressure. So no quick carbing

Italian made AEB kegs are available new and are of excellent quality, they are the same as corny kegs, i.e. rubber top and bottom, proper welds etc

they were available a few years ago new for $200 each

I like that my kegs have been given a new lease of life and escaped being recycled into a kitchen sink, or God help them - the stair rail of a beachside mansion owned by people who will never lovingly fill them with beer like I do.

And I like that one is from New York, another from some shit-kicking state in the middle somewhere, and the one with the little posts is from Montana ... all made for PepsiCo by a company that probably paid it's employees more than minimum wage.

donburke said:
Italian made AEB kegs are available new and are of excellent quality, they are the same as corny kegs, i.e. rubber top and bottom, proper welds etc

they were available a few years ago new for $200 each
Very true, they are identical to a corny. You can also get them in half size. I have seen them at Brewcraft and like everything there they are very expensive.

With some elbow grease you can make even the old cornies look fairly bling but you will always be stuck with the dull rubber handles.

Use some bar keepers friend to clean the outside up, then a nice rinse maybe a polish if you feel like it. I don't bother with a polish, but I do like to remove the tape goo and paint stuff from my kegs so tehy at least look like they fit into my kit.

Def go with the OLD!!!

Unless you get the italian ones ($$$) I would go second hand.

Can't beat direct recycling!

There was a release of second hand German-Made cornies a few years ago and they are just a notch above the American made ones in quality, probably because they had been meticulously handled in precise and efficient German style, unlike the ones from Kentucky or Idaho that got thrown roughly onto the truck outside the Gingham Kitchen Diner and BBQ by Billy Bob and his offsider (running late for the monster truck pull).

Four of my six are the German ones, I made sure they didn't get disposed of when I downsized B)

Edit: still in use in Germany - scene from "Unknown" with Liam Neeson being chased through the corridors of presumably a real hotel they used for the shoot. Hopefully we will get some more in the future.

german cornies.jpg

I was in Germany over December and January and saw Corny kegs everywhere - from out in the streets serving lagers at Christmas markets to piles of them in pubs, bars and breweries. Definitely very much still in active use in .de.

Back