New Keezer Design And Planning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I'm in need of a new keezer and in the stages of sourcing a new (or 2nd hand) chesty...

I'm pretty certain i want to fit 5 kegs in - 3 taps and 2 conditioning in waiting (or weirdo things like cider and soda!)

I already have an awesome Andale font and 3 DA taps but i'm slowly coming around to the idea of a collar with the taps coming out of it.

Why? possibly can get a new chesty and maintain a warranty with a neatly fitted no damage collar
with a font, keezer needs to be on wheels and have the space to move every time I open the lid
i do think fonts are 'cooler' but beer lines to a collar are colder
collar would allow a cheaper smaller chesty to be purchased as i'll gain usable space on the hump with the collar
i'll have to get a new wall mount drip tray with a collar

anyone using the Fisher and Paykel 215 with a collar?

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Fi..._215L_WHT_H215X

or the Hisense?

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/Hi...reezer_HR6CF205

i'm now leaning to new as i think the energy savings of a new chesty over a 20 year old one would be immense. I did pick up an old 320 litre jobbie but i've put an energy meter on it and it's chewing so much power i may as well run an air con 24/7 to cool kegs!

so i think my mind is made up.. but anyone want to talk me further into a collar or out of a collar and back into the font...?

I've got a F&P 215 - the thing I like is that they are super common, so if it blows up my collar will be fine if I find another second hand one - you'll get 5 ball locks in there with a collar (one on the step) and you can throw a basket on top of the four kegs. I use a 12 litre on the step but a 19 fits. You need to organize your lines pretty well to remove one when it's full so ideally you want a 4 way gas manifold and some JG elbows to run the gas lines around to the front for the front two kegs.

Couple of pics from when I first got it (it's now got 2 stout taps as well)

28844mq.jpg

mwbjp0.jpg

I've got a F&P 215 - the thing I like is that they are super common, so if it blows up my collar will be fine if I find another second hand one - you'll get 5 ball locks in there with a collar (one on the step) and you can throw a basket on top of the four kegs. I use a 12 litre on the step but a 19 fits. You need to organize your lines pretty well to remove one when it's full so ideally you want a 4 way gas manifold and some JG elbows to run the gas lines around to the front for the front two kegs.

thanks Logman, that's the kind of inspiration i need! a few questions if you don't mind

how tall is your collar to allow a 19L on the hump?

do you have any dramas without a drip tray?

is 'shooting from the hip' ie pouring beer at that level something you get used to?

cheers

I solved the problem of having to move the freezer in and out by putting the font next to the freezer in a seperate cupboard unit. That way i got to keep my font, and had a little cupboard to hide the gas bottle, fridgemate and wiring plus store my extra tap handles when not in use and my cpbf and stuff.

The only problem it doesn't solve is the six inches of line between the collar and the bottom of the fon't being uninsulated, but it's only noticeable in summer for the first half a beer of a session and bumping the kegerator temp down a degree or so fixes it.
I could flood the font if i wanted but i'm too lazy :rolleyes:

If you are worried about the height of the taps just place the whole lot on a trolley.

Here is a pic of mine to give you an idea. I got an extra 4"-5" and makes it so easy when I need to move the whole thing and it doesn't look out of place.

6138741537_a0f7de4c0e_z.jpg

6139290024_b6fbcc0742_z.jpg

6842621294_d84019acb2_z.jpg

HERE is a link to my build.

thanks Logman, that's the kind of inspiration i need! a few questions if you don't mind

how tall is your collar to allow a 19L on the hump?

do you have any dramas without a drip tray?

is 'shooting from the hip' ie pouring beer at that level something you get used to?

cheers
The collar is just shy of 4.5 inches - I used hardwood from Bunnings.

For the drip tray I put this on the floor, works perfect. It's got a bar runner on the top now held on with adhesive velcro.

Between the collar and the freezer I put a strip of adhesive rubber from Clark Rubber - cost about $12.

I'm 6'3 and have to slightly bend I guess, never thought of it, can't seeing it bothering you if you are < 6FT.

The 12 ltr keg is good for me for the step - I make a lot of Stout, so I make a high % batch, 12 litres of which goes in the keg, then 7 litres can be bottled and kept for 12 months or whatever.

:icon_cheers:

Edit - one other thing - IRT to the manifold, see how on mine the collar is kind of recessed back 1 inch or so from the back wall? You want it like that, if that manifold stuck out any further you might have trouble removing a keg if you've got 4 on the floor. Then ideally, run the two gas lines for the front kegs along that 'step', once again, easier to get kegs out...

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys deal with ice building up and melting all the time?
As these are typically not "frost free" and also run above typical freezer temps, I imagine there would be a lot of ice melting.
Do you just catch it at the bottom through the drain hole, and live with it?

How do you guys deal with ice building up and melting all the time?
As these are typically not "frost free" and also run above typical freezer temps, I imagine there would be a lot of ice melting.
Do you just catch it at the bottom through the drain hole, and live with it?

Hey mikec,
Mine never ices, as its at 4C - 6C, therefore never has water from melting ice.

Back