New Keezer build - advice needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep that's the stuff! Pretty cheap really...

How I determined the insulation to be useful; I installed a power Meyer on the power board for the keezer and monitored the average usage with and without. Guess what? Less energy being used with the insulation! Not a lot but less all the same...

How much of a difference was it? Did you just use styrofoam?

I just picked up some of the chalkboard contact, thanks for the heads up. Will update photos later tonight.

First priority is hooking the lines up and pouring a farkin beer

I got my LEDs off ebay, (specifficly
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Cool-White-5M-3528-SMD-300-Leds-LED-Strips-Strip-Light-Waterproof-Dimmer-/330955322011?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item4d0e79729b&_uhb=1)
But Just search for 'waterproof LED 5M light' I prefer buy it now from an australian supplier b/c its verry fast verses china. But if you want it cheaper then look overseas to china.
Cool white is the best color temp but you can get them in any color.

My stc is ksfe against finders touching live terminals but its definatly super insulated against moisture..... (Dont get it wet.) :lol:
(Note dont copy me!)

As far as the temp swing with insulation goes i cannot quote you speciffics but say in an evening i would notice it come on afair few times, much more than with no collar. With the insulation on it only comes on acouple times. Verry sientiffic i know.B)
My STC is set F1: 2DegC F2: 1DegC F3: 5min.

Feel free to PM me if you want help wiring it up.

I extended my drip tray today so I thought I would take a couple of pics to show you the front panelling and the blackboard laminate. Bear in mind that this can easily be brought back to stock in about an hour.

Cheers mate.

IMG_20140104_115753_resize_20140104_123343.jpg

IMG_20140104_115608_resize_20140104_123344.jpg

That looks awesome! I put the contact on the front and it looks good. Surprised how well it takes chalk too.

Pics later, doing wedding shot today...

Heres the (almost) final product. I sealed inside the bottom of the collar where it meets the freezer with some silicon but still need to insulate it.

What exactly did you use for insulation Edak and where did you get it? Is it just Styrofoam from packaging?

keezer.jpg

cool I picked some up from clark rubber 20mm stuff.

Don't think I have either of them, was planning on just using a stanley knife.

I just used the self adhesive silver foam stuff I think I got it from Clark also ?

Oh and looking great even if a little rough with the contact. That stiff can be bloody tricky to line up just right can't it?

Yeah it's tough, will redo it when I get the chance.

Added a fan and insulation... Pics tomorrow.

Have to work out how to slow the fan, maybe a resistor

Probably a much better way of attaching it, i used wood screws :lol:

I tried a stanley knife but for the small stuff it worked great but it got cought up in the thinck stuff.

I used the saddles to hold it in place but I cut it slightly big so I had to really jam it in there anyway.

The fan is just a pc case fan on a 12v power pack, may put a double adapter on the stc so its only pushing air around when the freezer is on. Either that or find a much quieter fan and let it run all the time with something to slow it down. I used rca plugs on the leads so I can unplug it if I want to pull it out from the wall during a big session (perfect bar height for leaning). I stupidly drilled the hole from the inside out so I blew a little chunk out of the wood at the back, will just dab a bit of stain there to hide it.

Already noticed the taps on the outside are MUCH cooler even without pouring, temps seem consistent through the whole freezer now. Threw a tub of damprid in as there is a fair bit of condensation on the walls.

Thanks for the advice fellas, reaaaaal happy with my keezer :)

If anyone would like any details on what I did or costs PM me or post here

Photo.jpg

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Moad said:
I used the saddles to hold it in place but I cut it slightly big so I had to really jam it in there anyway.

The fan is just a pc case fan on a 12v power pack, its 3 amp so need to find a lower power fan and also may put a double adapter on the stc so its only pushing air around when the freezer is on. Either that or find a much quieter fan and let it run all the time with something to slow it down. I
I recently was at Jaycar getting a new fan for my PVR, which was noisy. I picked this up and it's surprisingly grunty:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=YX2502
40x40x10mm and 32dB where yours by the looks of it would be around 45~47 dB's.

I can hear it from the other side of the garage, it is an old beast so a quieter fan is definitely on the shopping list

I had same problem about fan noise and I just lowered the voltage so it went more slowly. Eventually moved to a quieter fan though which I nicked from a PC that I picked up on the side of the road (in fact I picked up about 5PC's on the side of the road that week, with which I built one awesome set up (I had also picked up a few monitors which took 5 mins each to replace the capacitors) and kept all of the rest of the useful parts, including fans, power supplies, DVD lasers, etc.) I have never had so many heavy-duty heat sinks before :)

Another way to control the speed is to use a PWM circuit.

Already mounted a quieter fan and smaller pSu.

But

I must have a leak somewhere and I've lost 4kg of gas nooooooooooooo

OK gas sorted...

I picked up a NC/NO reed switch from jaycar and wired up the fan and lights. The lights turn on and fan off when the lid opens and visa versa. Got one of those DC 12V to bare wire adapters for the power supply, much tidier than RCA plugs I had soldered up before

Added drip tray too...

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back