New(ish) Coopers Clear Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
OK, so i have one of these at home. Its my Cousin's it was bought for him by his wife.
I reckon it sucks balls. Looks pretty cool, but sucks balls. Does anyone have one of these?

I can't figure out the damned thing. its hardly air-tight and it says that i need to replace the collar after the initial activity is settled down. I would have thought however that that adds some rick in exposing everything to the outside air? Then i am supposed to simply put the lid on? I don't get it, the lids not at all air tight, and if it was... well i am not carbing.

I have heaps of fementers, but i feel that it would be a little mean of me to only use this one as a bottling bucket. Is there anything else i can do with this thing? Its too wide for glad wrapping (i think?)

Anyone have any ideas?

I can't figure out the damned thing. its hardly air-tight.....

<snip, snip>

the lids not at all air tight, and if it was... well i am not carbing.

not trying to nitpick, but it doesn't need to be "airtight". In fact "airtight" is what you don't want it to be. Gas has to escape somehow....

I've never used one of those fermenters, so i don't know a lot about the actual design.

Its too wide for glad wrapping (i think?)

Just use more than one layer, maybe criss cross style, or overlapping type of wrapping. Shouldn't be a problem.

....unless the problem is more to do with keeping the gladwrap on the actual fermenter (rubber band, lid seal, sticky tape etc...)

Cheers,

BN

not trying to nitpick, but it doesn't need to be "airtight". In fact "airtight" is what you don't want it to be. Gas has to escape somehow....

I've never used one of those fermenters, so i don't know a lot about the actual design.

Just use more than one layer, maybe criss cross style, or overlapping type of wrapping. Shouldn't be a problem.

....unless the problem is more to do with keeping the gladwrap on the actual fermenter (rubber band, lid seal, sticky tape etc...)

Cheers,

BN

Thanks BN,

No worries, nitpick away! Thats what i am on the forum for!

In a normal 'air-tight' fermenter the 'gas' would escape through an airlock, that is sort of what i meant to communicate. This thing is like fermenting in a pot with the lid on.

I contemplated doing it in 'criss-cross' fashion, but i just thought that may just be pointless.

In-case anyone doesn't know, it looks like this.:http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/winalonsowin/Fermenter.jpg

It "sucks balls" because you can't work it out?

Must be a a lot that sucks balls...

Plastic wrap comes in wider rolls... why buy plastic when the lid is obviously designed to perform the same way (you don't think glad wrap and a rubber band is airtight, surely)

Of course, one could use it as designed - but, hey, what the **** would those clowns at Cooper's know, eh?

In a normal 'air-tight' fermenter the 'gas' would escape through an airlock, that is sort of what i meant to communicate. This thing is like fermenting in a pot with the lid on.

An end to the "My airlock isn't bubbling" questions... ;)

But seriously...I've got one and I think it's great. The krausen sleeve thing is a bit gimmicky, but it does make cleaning a little easier because you can throw it in the dishwasher. A lot of people don't use it though unless they're brewing something particularly fierce because it provides a lot of room for the foam.

The lid stays on just fine and nothing can get in there, but gas can get out. It's also see-through so this stops newbies like myself from taking the lid off every five minutes to take a peek.

Finally the tap just clips in, and comes apart. Great for cleaning.

I've got both the old Coopers kit and the new one, the new one gets used first choice every time.

I used it for many brews, just left the collar on, and threw some glad wrap around the outside.

I think it is a great shape, with a good tap, very easy to use. Also prevents newbies from worrying if their airlock isn't bubbling.

Thanks for the responses guys. I didnt mean the 'sucks balls' thing too seriously! :lol:

I will just use it as you guys say and see how it goes!

An end to the "My airlock isn't bubbling" questions... ;)

But seriously...I've got one and I think it's great. The krausen sleeve thing is a bit gimmicky, but it does make cleaning a little easier because you can throw it in the dishwasher. A lot of people don't use it though unless they're brewing something particularly fierce because it provides a lot of room for the foam.

The lid stays on just fine and nothing can get in there, but gas can get out. It's also see-through so this stops newbies like myself from taking the lid off every five minutes to take a peek.

Finally the tap just clips in, and comes apart. Great for cleaning.

I've got both the old Coopers kit and the new one, the new one gets used first choice every time.
Come one i have never asked a 'my airlock isnt bubbling' quesion (i think...)!
I had an infection the last time i used it. i my brew fridge i have one other fermenter as well and that one came out fine.

Is there supposed to be some clips? I don't think i have any? I just pop the lid on.

only problems i find with mine is the seal around the tap leaks a bit when bottling and the tap seems to be set fairly high as well, need to put a phone book under the back of the fermenter to get the last 8 liters...
never had an infection.

I just knew there was going to be a barrage of aggression against the poor soul worrying about a fermenter that is different from the norm.

I realise that it is annoying when a newbie asks about the bubbling airlock, but hey guys... how bout some of us chill out a little when retorting.

Try and remember a time when you were a little clueless on brewing, and cut the newbies a break.

Just saying, we could all learn a lot from the famous saying 'Relax, don't worry.. have a homebrew' .

Peace out all.

I just knew there was going to be a barrage of aggression against the poor soul worrying about a fermenter that is different from the norm.

I realise that it is annoying when a newbie asks about the bubbling airlock, but hey guys... how bout some of us chill out a little when retorting.

Try and remember a time when you were a little clueless on brewing, and cut the newbies a break.

Just saying, we could all learn a lot from the famous saying 'Relax, don't worry.. have a homebrew' .

Peace out all.

The comment about the bubbling airlock came from me...very much a newbie. Also the comment about the newbies taking the lid off every five minutes also came from me...a newbie. Just taking the piss and having a laugh at my own expense.

Also I don't recall anyone saying anything too bad about the new fermenter, quite the opposite in fact.

The comment about the bubbling airlock came from me...very much a newbie. Also the comment about the newbies taking the lid off every five minutes also came from me...a newbie. Just taking the piss and having a laugh at my own expense.

HA... looks like I was sticking up for both the bully AND the newbie...
heheh

Would that make you a 'newbullie??'

HA... looks like I was sticking up for both the bully AND the newbie...
heheh

Would that make you a 'newbullie??'

Thanks for being the nice guy!
But i deserved aggression, i shouldn't have said something sucks balls! I have been on there since 2009 so i am not a newby, but not an expert (by no means) either.

i have been reading a couple similar threads:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=67219
and it seems a common thread to advise people not to use them.

I just find it to be a little awkwardly sized and pretty loose fitting overall. And i was wondering if i am the only one. Not sure now.

I recon people fear change, hence plenty of people will be against it simply because it's not what they are used to. But it was specifically designed for its purpose. It has some nice and thoughtful features that your standard fermenter doesn't have. If I had designed it, I would have done a few things different, but it's still pretty good.

The coopers forum has a fair bit of discussion about it, and includes the guy I think designed it.

It is awkwardly sized, especially when the krausen collar is in place. Not too bad without it although very wide...won't fit in my outside fridge.

The lid doesn't need to be a tight fit, allows the gas to "burp" out with out letting nasties in. Shit, some people just use a bucket and towel quite successfully.

There are clips that go with it for when it is fermenting, I guess this is to stop the lid blowing off. These attach between the lid and the krausen collar (if used).

Like I said earlier, I would use this over my old fermenter any day. Just takes a little getting used to. Each to their own I guess...

I got 2. No problems at all. Great fermenter, easy to clean. Just don't use boiling water on the lid I warped mine a tad, no real issue though.

Latest posts

Back