New - Ipswich Qld. Kegerator build info research.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where to Buy?

• Total voters

vk4akp

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new from Ipswich Qld.
I've done home brew beer and some spirits now for many years.
Mainly due to costs savings and also I suffer food allergies.
Sick of the whole sterilising and refilling PET bottles thing so moving to 19L Kegs.
I am on a pension so the costs involved are a big deal but as I do not partake in other luxuries that most / some do or can like soft drinks, chocolate, ice cream, smokes, etc I feel the investment is justified.

Will post a build example for a 4 Tap Kegerator X setup for analysis. (Anything I've missed or got wrong).

After any advice / help towards the build and recommendations on where to buy or any discount codes etc that may be helpful.

So far I'm using the KegLand .AU site to assemble an order. I am just waiting for all items to become available as some are out of stock then I will post the list in a thread.

I was hoping to limit my first order to ~<$1000 but it's already looking like going easily towards ~$1500.

Appreciate any help available.

~ Ken - vk4akp ~

Hi Ken,

Kegging is definitely the way to go, you've only got to sanitise and fill one large bottle instead of 20-30 small ones.

Keep an eye out on here/gumtree/ebay for second hand stuff. It comes up pretty frequently, and is much cheaper. All my kegs, regulator and gas bottle are all second hand and cost me a fraction of what new would have. I bought my taps new, but wanted good flow control ones so had shell out a bit of hard earned for those.

Keg King and Kegland are both options, but don't exclude your local(ish) store craft brewer. They've got both new and 2nd hand kegs available and are a very reputable store. If you went in there with an idea of what you want to do, they would be able to point you in the right direction, and may be able to do a bit of a package deal (you'd have to ask). They'd be able to take you through the pros and cons of different bits of kit and make recommendations based on their considerable experience.

JD

Fair enough going new, but if you're budget is tight then you can save heaps of $$$ buying second hand. Most second hand gear has been well looked after, and is easily refurbished with new seals etc if necessary. You may also be able to find stuff locally and save on shipping.

JD

Yea true.
When I get into something I tends to always buy new and most things serve me well for life. I tend to not get in and out of hobbies like some.
Shipping is a killer ($130). And I worry about damage as most couriers to here don't give a damn.
But yea for me.. buy new, look after what you get and it generally serves you well for life.

Fair enough going new, but if you're budget is tight then you can save heaps of $$$ buying second hand. Most second hand gear has been well looked after, and is easily refurbished with new seals etc if necessary. You may also be able to find stuff locally and save on shipping.

JD

Hi,

I'm new from Ipswich Qld.
I've done home brew beer and some spirits now for many years.
Mainly due to costs savings and also I suffer food allergies.
Sick of the whole sterilising and refilling PET bottles thing so moving to 19L Kegs.
I am on a pension so the costs involved are a big deal but as I do not partake in other luxuries that most / some do or can like soft drinks, chocolate, ice cream, smokes, etc I feel the investment is justified.

Will post a build example for a 4 Tap Kegerator X setup for analysis. (Anything I've missed or got wrong).

After any advice / help towards the build and recommendations on where to buy or any discount codes etc that may be helpful.

So far I'm using the KegLand .AU site to assemble an order. I am just waiting for all items to become available as some are out of stock then I will post the list in a thread.

I was hoping to limit my first order to ~<$1000 but it's already looking like going easily towards ~$1500.

Appreciate any help available.

~ Ken - vk4akp ~
Hi Ken,
I am also from Ipswich and just new to this forum.
I have Been kegging for around 18 months now, definitely the way to go.
I have new & 2nd hand kegs, I just put a new seal kit though them, Soak & wash them thoroughly with Sanitizer etc, never had an issue.
I have a keezer I built from a 2nd hand chest freezer, controlled with an Inkbird temp controller, works a treat.
Given your location I would highly suggest a temp controlled fridge for fermenting, easily done with a 2nd hand fridge and an Inkbid temp controller, I can post pictures of my set-up if you want any ideas etc.

cheers & welcome to home brewing

Hi @gavinlbuckett ,

Nice to find some one local. Cool!.
Yes I'd love to see some pictures. And maybe even if you don't mind meet up in person some time. Maybe you could show me your setup in real life and tutor me a little on the in's and outs of it all.

I was originally going to just use a chest freezer with external temperature regulator.
Being a freezer the insulation would be much better and the motor much stronger using less power.
I have looked into this before with Off Grid living. It is a very popular way of making a refrigerator with better specs.

But given that I tend to be very time poor I have learnt that it's best to just invest in a turn key solution with little to no setup needed.
I also don't have a lot of room here. But as things progress I do hope to change that and would eventually be interested in setting up a better fermenting system also.

Hi Ken,
I am also from Ipswich and just new to this forum.
I have Been kegging for around 18 months now, definitely the way to go.
I have new & 2nd hand kegs, I just put a new seal kit though them, Soak & wash them thoroughly with Sanitizer etc, never had an issue.
I have a keezer I built from a 2nd hand chest freezer, controlled with an Inkbird temp controller, works a treat.
Given your location I would highly suggest a temp controlled fridge for fermenting, easily done with a 2nd hand fridge and an Inkbid temp controller, I can post pictures of my set-up if you want any ideas etc.

cheers & welcome to home brewing

Hi @gavinlbuckett ,

Nice to find some one local. Cool!.
Yes I'd love to see some pictures. And maybe even if you don't mind meet up in person some time. Maybe you could show me your setup in real life and tutor me a little on the in's and outs of it all.

I was originally going to just use a chest freezer with external temperature regulator.
Being a freezer the insulation would be much better and the motor much stronger using less power.
I have looked into this before with Off Grid living. It is a very popular way of making a refrigerator with better specs.

But given that I tend to be very time poor I have learnt that it's best to just invest in a turn key solution with little to no setup needed.
I also don't have a lot of room here. But as things progress I do hope to change that and would eventually be interested in setting up a better fermenting system also.

Hi Ken,
Happy to meet up sometime and show you my rig etc, and provide any help I can offer you.
I tried to upload some pics but keeps telling me the file is too big, so not sure what’s going on there.
Cheers GB

OK. Cool. I'll send you a PM some time to arrange something. Any particular days or times more suitable to you?
As for the photo's it's common that on forum boards you are restricted to a certain file size and format due to storage constraints on their servers.

Hi,

Back again.

OK so quick replies.
- I would like to go with new equipment.
- I have looked at local suppliers and other online ones also. KegLand prices kill them all.

I have posted a thread on my current order intention. (Awaiting moderation).

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/kegarator-x-4tap-build-will-it-ever-happen.101344/

Any input appreciated. :)
.-.-.
Don't discount all local stores. When you factor in freight costs from the KEG-stores you might find that buying local is actually cheaper. I know that in Redcliffe it is ;-)

Redcliffe 's not that far from here.
But I doubt I can get some of the KegLand specific stuff locally. Keg Soda Water Carbinator, Kegerator X series, etc. Either way in a little over a weeks time I'll be dropping the hammer on a decision as that's when stock arrives again. That is if something else doesn't go out of stock again in the mean time. It's happened B4.

Don't discount all local stores. When you factor in freight costs from the KEG-stores you might find that buying local is actually cheaper. I know that in Redcliffe it is ;-)

OK. So not getting a lot of feedback or info on the build so I just pulled the Trigger and ordered from KegLand a couple of minutes ago. Total cost just shy of $1600. Had a $1000 score on the pokies last night so figured that was a sign to jump in. LoL :D

I will have to pick up the correct sanatisers etc locally as the good stuff was out of stock at KegLand. ($7 from them).
Anything else I'm missing will have to wait till the next order but hopefully I've bought enough to at least get me started.

I'll post some pictures once it arrives and I start putting it together.

Thanks for the help. I've learnt a few things from here and also the KegLand Facebook group.

Are you buying a Kegerator or building a keezer ?

Kegerator X - 4 Tap.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/kegarator-x-4tap-build-will-it-ever-happen.101344/
Originally I was going to build a Keezer (chest freezer with external temperature regulator) but decided a Keglad order for a complete plug and play system would be a quicker and tidier way to go for my first system.
I may still go Keezer next further down the trail as I do see many benefits to this.

Last edited:
Kegerator X - 4 Tap.
Originally I was going to build a Keezer (chest freezer with external temperature regulator) but decided a Keglad order for a complete plug and play system would be a quicker and tidier way to go for my first system.
I may still go Keezer next further down the trail as I do seem many benefits to this.
I have both a 2 tap Kegerator ( I bought locally ) and a 4 tap keezer I built myself, my preference is the keezer by a country mile, better temp control and pour.
With the keezer your temp doesn’t fluctuate as much when opened because the cold air sinks to the bottom.
With the Kegerator as soon as you open the door cold air escapes immediately, you may need a font fan on your Kegerator if you haven’t already purchased one, as the font sits approx 350mm above, so when pouring the beer goes from cold air up into hot air, causing frothing, I have a spare one here if you want it ?
I bought one for my keezer but don’t need it as it’s a direct pull straight to the tap, all inside the keezer itself, never get frothing at all.
I ran my keezer & Kegerator at 2 degrees, good pour on keezer, terrible on Kegerator, so dropped the temp down to 0 on the Kegerator, and it helped a lot, plus with the fan.
Like you say if we meet up I can give you a run down, or if you need help putting it together, I have plenty of tools as I am a Mechanical Fitter with over 25yrs in the Gas Industry, so if you get caught, I can assist. I have set up plenty of beer reticulation systems in RSL,s, Clubs etc over the yrs. I reside in the Woodend area of Ippy, cheers

Kegerator X - 4 Tap.
I may still go Keezer next further down the trail as I do seem many benefits to this.
I’ve also managed to upload a pic of my keezer on my intro page, I had to resize it for it to upload, hope it worked.
Cheers Gav

Hi @gavinlbuckett
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I'll elaborate better in a PM shortly.
Yes I'm aware of all the big advantages of using an externally temperature regulated chest freezer.
However in the end I wanted a turn key solution that would get me started in short time and in a limited spatial area.
Long term I would like to build a Keezer as well, but I assume this will be years down the trail.
I'll start on a PM elaborating now.
BTW, nice photo's. Thanks for sharing! :)

Hi @gavinlbuckett
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I'll elaborate better in a PM shortly.
Yes I'm aware of all the big advantages of using an externally temperature regulated chest freezer.
However in the end I wanted a turn key solution that would get me started in short time and in a limited spatial area.
Long term I would like to build a Keezer as well, but I assume this will be years down the trail.
I'll start on a PM elaborating now.
BTW, nice photo's. Thanks for sharing! :)
Sorry to hear about your Kegerator being damaged mate, anything I can help you with putting it together just give me a shout mate.

Back