New Home Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterl1981

Reaction score
Hi there lads

I'm finally making my all grain set up, i'm using a hotwater service x 2 (aquamax hot waters) they have stainless steel cylinders, just going to cut in half, going to use electric elements.. prob 5.5kw element in kettle and 4.5kw in h.l.t, i will controll the boiler with a pot. and the hlt i will control with PID controller

anyway heres a couple of photos so far... carnt wait.. I need one more aquamax hot water for the top for my H.L.T

brewery.JPG

brew_draws.JPG

That is cool, love the slide rails, Looks like someone got a welder for Xmas. :kooi:

Just a couple of questions. How do you intend to provide 40+ amps current to the elements? Are they going to be hardwired? Also, you wont be able to control an element with a pot, I havent seen a pot that can dissipate 1-5kw of heat :). You need either PWM or a variac but at those current draws its going to be expensive. Why not just match the element to what you need instead of trying to control the output?

Fil

Probably the same way I'll up the elements in everything in my Electric Brewery when I upgrade houses - Three-phase in the meter box and a hefty circuit to the brewing area!

Cheers!

J Also, you wont be able to control an element with a pot, I havent seen a pot that can dissipate 1-5kw of heat :) . You need either PWM or a variac but at those current draws its going to be expensive.
Fil

you can buy SSVR's for $20 that would do 50amp (solid state variable relays that look like a SSR) or maybe a phase angle controller (bit more $ say +-100)
both run using "pots' and just ad a heat sink and fan etc.

you can buy SSVR's for $20 that would do 50amp (solid state variable relays that look like a SSR) or maybe a phase angle controller (bit more $ say +-100)

Ah nice! Those SSVR's when I was looking a couple of years back were unaffordable when talking anything more than 20amps. Looks like the chinese have done it again! Also looks they are mainly all phase angle controlling instead of zero crossing...and even some are PWM which is awesome to have that built into the relay itself.

regarding the pot..sure they use a pot to get the adjustment in the ssr but when Ive walked in on a mate hooking up a 2hp ac motor to a 1watt pot because he thought he could 'control the speed, just like the model DC motors', i don't take anything for granted ;)

Fil

Yeah maheel spot on there and I will only need 23 amps as I will only have one element going at one time, one for mash and one for the boil, I'm using a 3 position changeover switch, so only one is possible to fire..
And the power is free as I have solar power, with a $6000 credit I think I can afford a bit of power for the brewery, any way hope to have it up and running within a month..

hi all here is some updated photos of my mini brewery, just waiting for my mate to come and wire up the mains... hopfully brew on thw long weekend...

the brewery

brewery_smal.JPG

and one of the inside of the mash tun

mash_tun.jpg

Back