New Grainfather Connect Controller (Pre-Orders)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHB

Reaction score
We've just flicked the switch on Pre-Orders for the new Grainfather Connect Controllers. Lay-By is available for those tight on $

Keep in mind, nobody has an exact date for these at this point in time and we're still working on November. If they come in before then, it's a bonus, but they will be dispatched same day we receive them.

Price shipping and other details are on the page. http://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/grainfather-connect-controller

gfconnect controller.jpg

appscrsht.jpg

Martin

bradsbrew said:
Have you still got my name down, Martin?
Yes Brad, all those who have pre-nominated for one will still get them on time. This is just for those who haven't nominated to get one and those who don't want to be doing it too close to Xmas expenses etc by request.

Will the grainfather start coming with this controller? Or its always going to be an optional extra?

From what I hear the new Grainfather will have the new controller although the price will increase. I think by the same amount as the controller will cost by itself.

SBOB said:
Will the grainfather start coming with this controller? Or its always going to be an optional extra?
in Australia at least, the next and subsequent production runs will have only the new controller fitted as standard. As Bridgey23 said above, the new RRP will be going up to reflect the same price as the current unit plus the new controller. I believe around the $1350 mark.

HBHB said:
in Australia at least, the next and subsequent production runs will have only the new controller fitted as standard. As Bridgey23 said above, the new RRP will be going up to reflect the same price as the current unit plus the new controller. I believe around the $1350 mark.
reminds me a bit of the hifi loudspeaker market in Australia (back when people cared about good sound instead of overpriced little shit boxes). They always start off targeting a price point of $1000, $2000 etc and the price creeps up as they make improvements. ...just an observation.

I look at this in the same light as I examine the annual smartphone upgrade proposition. Do the features and benefits of the new model justify the expense of upgrading? If the answer is "Shit Yes" I buy one. The old one still works. In saying that I still usually hold off for six months or more whilst the early adopters help get the bugs out to f the new system.

Is this a standalone unit that could be used to build your own system? (apologies if this is a stupid question dont know anything about these units)

Is there any use for the "old" controller if I upgrade to the new one?

A.B. said:
No reason why you can't use it to control the temp of a fermentation fridge. Although the stc-200 lacks the precision of the stc-1000 which most people use.

Coodgee said:
reminds me a bit of the hifi loudspeaker market in Australia (back when people cared about good sound instead of overpriced little shit boxes). They always start off targeting a price point of $1000, $2000 etc and the price creeps up as they make improvements. ...just an observation.
Yep, bit like that. I'd never buy a car on first edition ever again. The good thing with this controller is it's been beta tested extensively and all the bugs ironed out with the program pre-release. What's coming out will undoubtedly change at some stage in the future and updates to the app are already rolling through and will continue to, as you'd expect from a decent development team with brewers best interests at heart.

LAGERFRENZY said:
I look at this in the same light as I examine the annual smartphone upgrade proposition. Do the features and benefits of the new model justify the expense of upgrading? If the answer is "Shit Yes" I buy one. The old one still works. In saying that I still usually hold off for six months or more whilst the early adopters help get the bugs out to f the new system.
That's why they beta test them
sixfignig said:
Is this a standalone unit that could be used to build your own system? (apologies if this is a stupid question dont know anything about these units)
I don't see any reason to doubt it. male plugs on the sockets for the unit shouldn't cause any grief and if you're within the 10amp rating I don't see why not.
GalBrew said:
No reason why you can't use it to control the temp of a fermentation fridge. Although the stc-200 lacks the precision of the stc-1000 which most people use.

A.B. said:
yep. just need to reprogram to cooling mode. shouldn't cause any difficulty.

HBHB said:
I don't see any reason to doubt it. male plugs on the sockets for the unit shouldn't cause any grief and if you're within the 10amp rating I don't see why not.
So I'm guessing the unit has a PID, SSR and is rated to switch 10amp. This would be fine for my needs. Does it come with a temperature probe? If not, what type does it accept and what socket/connection?

This could be an easy way to build a 1V recirculation system without having to wire it all up (and the connectivity looks fantastic).

HBHB said:
That's why they beta test them.
Plenty of products and services are beta tested Martin - Samsung Galaxy S7 for one, Census web site, Qld Health Payroll system, every frigging Apple and Microsoft OS that I have ever used - and guess what - they all still have bugs in them when they go live. Thank you for your reply just the same mate.

fishingbrad said:
So does this new controller override the "Mash/ Normal" switch at the base of the Grainfather ?
Yep, set to boil and the PID algorithm works out how much power is needed to avoid overshoot.

Killer Brew said:
I'm trying to think if I need this upgrade or not. Staying close to my brew to adjust temps at different stages doesn't bother me, I feel like it is part of the process. Is that the only advantage I would get?
Probably more a question for the open forum in the grainfather users KB. Can one of the mods perhaps move this to the Grainfather discussion thread so it's not bumping other retailers off the top of the board please.

I'll answer it over there in detail KB, then you can make your own mind up.

Cheers,
Martin

UPDATE on the pre-orders. The new controllers are now on the way to us and should be here tomorrow (Thursday). That being the case all those who have pre-ordered and paid, yours will be dispatched tomorrow.

Those who droped an EOI for them asap, it's time to drop the orders through and pay. Your stock has been ordered and is inbound now.

Apparently the android app is still being tweaked, so for now (short term) full functionality rests with ios users.

http://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/grainfather-connect-controller

Is the new controller just a plug and play. Can it be fitted to all of the previous grain fathers.
thanks

Latest posts

Back