New Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman

Reaction score
Hey all. Just about to use my new grain mill and i havn't thought about what size to crush the grain at. Now I am using BIAB if that makes an differance?

Cheers

Shan

What mill did you purchase? I just purchased a MillMaster MM2 and am waiting for it to arrive. A friend has theirs on the factory setting which may not be fine enough for BIAB IMHO. I got 63% efficiency after using his mill, which I put down to the crush as I consistently get 70% with LHBS milled grain.

I will watch thread with interest.

Hey all. Just about to use my new grain mill and i havn't thought about what size to crush the grain at. Now I am using BIAB if that makes an differance?

Cheers

Shan
When i got my new mill, the first thing i did was read this article at braukaiser.com, then i was able to make up my own mind as to what i set it at. FWIW, i run a gap of about 0.90mm on a 3V 2mm perforated false bottom and hit about 75-80% efficiency.

When i got my new mill, the first thing i did was read this article at braukaiser.com, then i was able to make up my own mind as to what i set it at. FWIW, i run a gap of about 0.90mm on a 3V 2mm perforated false bottom and hit about 75-80% efficiency.

Use monstermill 2 roller and set it to 0.90,i run the grain through twice and get 80% + on the braumiester.

What mill did you purchase? I just purchased a MillMaster MM2 and am waiting for it to arrive. A friend has theirs on the factory setting which may not be fine enough for BIAB IMHO. I got 63% efficiency after using his mill, which I put down to the crush as I consistently get 70% with LHBS milled grain.

I will watch thread with interest.

I got a Maltmuncher from Keg King. Yer i was thinking the finer the better for BIAB. But then again being a noobie I not so sure. Hahaha. See how the efficiency goes.

Just gave the article a quick read as I am in the middle of doing a mash. How do you measure the gap? I was thinking maybe the tool that you adjust your sparkplugs with?

Use monstermill 2 roller and set it to 0.90,i run the grain through twice and get 80% + on the braumiester.

I only ran it though once. Not sure of the setting but it was fine with the husks mostly intacted.

Just gave the article a quick read as I am in the middle of doing a mash. How do you measure the gap? I was thinking maybe the tool that you adjust your sparkplugs with?

Yep get yourself a feeler gauge from bunnings or supercheap, so you can set your gap. Other wise at a pinch use a credit card... i believe they're 1mm.

Yep get yourself a feeler gauge from bunnings or supercheap, so you can set your gap. Other wise at a pinch use a credit card... i believe they're 1mm.

Use my wife's credit card you'll be doing both yourself & myself a favour :p

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Back