New Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just scored a cheap bar fridge on ebay $10. Has no feet so I got some castors from bunnings $7

Full sick hectic

I got 2 kelvo's with 4 gas regulators for a carton of carlton cans a while ago! best score. Just had to replace the seals in one which also came with a temp controller on it for fermenting but she's running strong now.

Weird that I read this thread this-morning and this-arvo my neighbour told me about two fridges being given away around the corner. I scored a Fisher and Paykell "Active smart" fridge freezer.

A question for the fridge mechanics that might be reading. I broke the rules and laid the fridge down on the ladder rack on the ute to get it home. It was like that for about 20 mins. I've done it before and gotten away with it but I usually let em stand for a day to let the oil run back down to the compressor. Will I get away with this time and can a let it stand for less time ? I have a Sierra Nevada rip off bottled and sitting in the shed and the weather is getting hot.... I plan to use the fridge for storage of stubbies - not to keep em cold but to prevent them getting hot which leads me to my next question...

Re a C1206-D temperature controller. IF I was to plug the additional fridge into the cooling circuit on my jury-rigged temperature controller, will the additional load (cutting in at the same time) cause the controller to die? The terminals in the little controller are so small but the documentation that comes with it claim it's up to it (I think) [topic="0"]http://torkington.id.au/c1206-d.pdf[/topic]. Any sparkies for that one?

A question for the fridge mechanics that might be reading. I broke the rules and laid the fridge down on the ladder rack on the ute to get it home. It was like that for about 20 mins. I've done it before and gotten away with it but I usually let em stand for a day to let the oil run back down to the compressor. Will I get away with this time and can a let it stand for less time ?

Ran out of patience and turned it on about 5 hrs later. Some annoying alarm went off in it but I think it was a defrost alarm or something. Pressed the button inside and now it seems to be fine.

Ran out of patience and turned it on about 5 hrs later. Some annoying alarm went off in it but I think it was a defrost alarm or something. Pressed the button inside and now it seems to be fine.

Im pretty sure with the newer frost free fridges this isnt so much of an issue

I layed my brand new one down and it didnt seem to be a problem and the one i just bought home i done the same and its fine...

U will need 2 x Controllers as you will only have the one probe and you cant assume that one fridge wont cool down faster than the other

PID's are cheap as chips.....

My brother in law is a fridge mechanic and yhe says the rule of thumb is leave it off for the same amount o f time it was on its side. He allows longer to be safe but 5 hours is heaps

Im pretty sure with the newer frost free fridges this isnt so much of an issue

I layed my brand new one down and it didnt seem to be a problem and the one i just bought home i done the same and its fine...

U will need 2 x Controllers as you will only have the one probe and you cant assume that one fridge wont cool down faster than the other

PID's are cheap as chips.....

Thanks Jamey, the temperature in the second fridge is not that important as the intention is to store stubbies in it. It could (and probably would) vary 7 or 8 degrees without harm I reckon.

Thanks Jamey, the temperature in the second fridge is not that important as the intention is to store stubbies in it. It could (and probably would) vary 7 or 8 degrees without harm I reckon.

Well if this is the case i'd setup a Relay/Contactor arrangment, 2 x DPDT relays rated to 10A Each, Get the PID to energise both then wire in 2 x Out

If you want a schematic for this i could probably russle one up for you.....

Back