New Digs, Which Utility Companies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy

Ahh Glasshopper
Reaction score
So we've moved into our own gaff in Sarf Brissie. We need gas and electric and internet and cable tv and i'm from England where everything is free... well maybe not and I'm not familiar with the various suppliers here!

Can anyone recommend the best suppliers for
Gas
Electricity
Internet (+ phone)
Telly (probably not much of a choice here!)

Thanks very mush!

Scruff.

So we've moved into our own gaff in Sarf Brissie. We need gas and electric and internet and cable tv and i'm from England where everything is free... well maybe not and I'm not familiar with the various suppliers here!

Can anyone recommend the best suppliers for
Gas
Electricity
Internet (+ phone)
Telly (probably not much of a choice here!)

Thanks very mush!

Scruff.

Hi Scruff,
With Origin energy you can get a deal where you get 1 months electricity free, best I've found.
Internet and phone, I have an optus fusion deal that is pretty good. free local and national calls and free calls to optus mobiles and cable internet included.
Sorry, can't help with the others.

cheers

Browndog

Major utilities are all pretty much the same anywhere in the country as they are all 'retailers' from the same wholesale source. Some look better on paper but at the end of the day you usually are paying the same figures (some offer discounted rates if paid on time but standard rates are slightly higher etc.)

Tv, you're stuck with foxtel unless you are itnerested in selecttv... a very small spinoff satellite tv with all the same channels of foxtel. I'd be concerned for support if you have reception problems however.

Internet: TPG has decent rates for internet, only problem is you need to organise a landline with optus or telstra.

As noted eralier, if you bundle everything (TV, phone, internet and mobile) with a major telco Telstra/optus you usually get decent rates. I guess it comes down to you're needs and wants for services such as Internet and Phone (value added extras like unmetered data etc or just straight up GB/$).

For land line phone I personally think sticking with the big T is the best way - that said it depends on how much you use your land line. Telstra have the cheapest "basic service" land line available. I pay $20.95 per month for a "HomeLine Budget" but I dont use my land line for out going calls only incoming (parents preffer to call the landline) and for aDSL access.

I use aaNet for my aDSL access - but I would NOT reccomend them if you are not "tech savy" and you want a 24hour help desk. They offer most help via email unless you physically cant connect to the internet they dont want you to call. In saying that I've been with them for my service for 2 years and my parents have been with them for 7 or 8 years with out a problem and I've recently switched work over to them. At work I pay $49.95 for aDSL 2 speeds and 50 gig download and $3 per gig over my limit.

For gas and electricity. I dunno what you guys have in brisvagas but down here in mexico we have "melways" street directory which has "boundrys" for the "wholesalers" of gas and electricity. I'd just get connected with them (your local "wholeseler") straight up but without a contract then undoubtedly you'll get someone door knocking to offer you the worlds greatest deal on gas and electricity if you sign up to a contract. At the end of the day they all charge similar amounts.

Foxtel is the only way for payTV. There is optus - which is the same content as foxtel but in some areas you can get optus via cable but foxtel by satellite. I personally have foxtel satellite even though there is optusvision cable to my house simply cause it was easier. Plus i dont think optus had the IQ2 at that stage.
if your in an "outer suburb" or country area you might have to get Austar - again its the same as foxtel.
iSelect or SelectTV or what ever they are called are shit.

I would use anyone other than Telstra for your Internet and Landline. This mob pretends they have a "premium" service and charge you for it - but it is identical to the services resold by all of the other Telo's - one of the biggest scams in Aus at the moment. They gouge you with many many hidden charges (such as 35c connection fee per timed call !!!! outrageous) that you don't discover until you receive your 1st bill.

I agree with a previous poster that Optus Fusion is a good plan if you can get it - I have similar plan with Primus called Primus Max that gives 20gb of ADSL2+ and unlimited phone calls for $99 p.m. (but I think you need to be in a metro area to get this).
My bill from Telstra each month was over $200 for the same services !!! - but my family are big phone users.

I would only consider Telstra for mobiles - as in some areas they have better competition - but otherwise avoid them like the plague (unless of course you are happy for your hard-earned money to go to lining their rich execs pockets ).

all just IMHO

For gas and electricity. I dunno what you guys have in brisvagas but down here in mexico we have "melways" street directory which has "boundrys" for the "wholesalers" of gas and electricity. I'd just get connected with them (your local "wholeseler") straight up but without a contract then undoubtedly you'll get someone door knocking to offer you the worlds greatest deal on gas and electricity if you sign up to a contract. At the end of the day they all charge similar amounts.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Any retailer can sell gas in any area. Furthermore the gas wholesaler in my area does not even have a retail business (it is worth pointing out that there are only 3 wholesalers so I'm not talking about a suburb when I talk about "my area"). I don't understand your advice.

Besides, my understanding is that QLD utility regulations are an extremely different kettle of fish to some other states - what with the industries only having been de-regulated quite recently.

Yeah sorry things have changed since I had mine connected - just found out my local distributor isnt a retailler either - infact I dont think any of them are? (SP Ausnet, Alinta, United/Jemena etc)

Latest posts

Back