New Crank'n Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Finally got my proper mill sorted out, have put it into a temporary frame that I had lying around so I can use it while I ponder a more imaginative mill stand. Haven't sorted out the hopper as yet, will probably just jury rig one for the mean time......
mill1.jpg

mill3.jpg

Got the 3 roller crank from Roy @ TWOC, nice guy & very easy & friendly to deal with.
Picked up a cheap motor from Paramount Browns, it ended up being a variable speed AC motor, that had 4 wires in the cord instead of the expected 3, so rather than fry the motor or myself through lack of knowledge, I took it to statewide electrical and had them wire a plug onto it for me. Also really helpful guys, there was some debate initially as to whether the motor would be powerful enough, as even though it's 3/4HP, because it's designed to run a fan, they reckoned that it might require almost no load at all to get started, and then have heaps of grunt when it got started - thankfully this wasn't the case, and it has MORE than enough grunt, and runs at a pretty good speed for the application. I suspended the motor on a hinged plate, so the weight of the motor it'self is what provides the friction on the belt, but if it all goes pear shaped, it will slip rather than wreck the mill........
I put a gutter 'leaf collector' box underneath the whole mill and a small downpipe angle off that fires the crushed grain straight into the 10 litre bucket, next to no flour dust going everywhere which was what I wanted.
This mill EATS the grain like nothing else I've seen................haven't done a full crush yet, but it will crush a kilo in 15-20 seconds :blink: , so I guess that makes my entire crush take place in less than 4 minutes..........No more standing in front of the marga putting grain through twice!!! :super:
To that effect, I now have a converted marga mill up for grabs if anyone wants one...... :)

3D, (I know you can't actually see the mill, but I couldn't be assed removing the catcher)
Pretty impressive little mill, but not much to it really......

nothing better that a motorised mill to make your brewing a plaesure.

It will becone your favrout bit of gear.

Mine chews through 12 KG of grain in about 2 minuites.

I rememver spending 2 hours at the marga for a 4 KG crush

cheers and good job :)

Back