New Coopers Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo, it's a lager. And the other is a premium light.

"Coopers chairman and marketing director Glenn Cooper said he was confident the beers would change drinkers' perceptions about Coopers and lagers."

uh-oh. Sounds ominous to me. Or maybe I'm just being cynical.

"In the past, that demand has not translated through to our lagers but we believe the new Lager and Premium Light will change that situation."

Hmm... maybe saying something about the quality of past lagers?

I'll wait and see what other people say before buying some

Would I be cynical enough to suggest same beer new labels? :ph34r:

Nothing surprises. ;)

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Would I be cynical enough to suggest same beer new labels? :ph34r:

Nothing surprises. ;)

Warren -
[post="88252"][/post]​

I though t thesame thing :beer: . Years ago they bought out a scotch ale. Didn't sell. Shortly afterwards out came the "dark ale". Same beer two names I thought.
BTW dark ale is still around

I just made the sacrifice and went to the pub. Had a very nice eidel weisse and a ordinary heff weisen. Also tried the Emerson pils that Kai was drinking which I quite liked. I was going to order a Cooper's premium lager but the bar staff warned me off. Apparently it is VERY ordinary. These guys know their beer too. As any of the Adelaide brewers can the guys at the Wheatsheaf know their beer. So I took their advice and gave it a miss.

However, I can report that the Schneider Eidel Weisse and Emersons Pils are quite good.

they're damn harsh on beers
they're the beer nazis

so yeah, i'd believe them

but i still gotta try one

I believe, Jade is it, can recite the BJCP guidelines from the top of her head.

They Emersons there? Is it on tap?

kirem said:
I believe, Jade is it, can recite the BJCP guidelines from the top of her head.

They Emersons there? Is it on tap?
[post="88332"][/post]​
They have Emerson's Pils, IPA and, i think, stout. None on tap though.

Aaron said:
I just made the sacrifice and went to the pub. Had a very nice eidel weisse and a ordinary heff weisen. Also tried the Emerson pils that Kai was drinking which I quite liked. I was going to order a Cooper's premium lager but the bar staff warned me off. Apparently it is VERY ordinary.

Yes, judging by their feedback the new coopers lager is a little too successful in replicating australia's #1 premium lager.

What are coopers thinking, they proclaim to be this oldy worldy ale producing good old family south aussie firm, then they come out with a couple of lame lagers...why not a IPA or a porter or summat?

Oh and when I picked upa sixer of Sparliking ale recely in Sydney, I was shcosked at how one dimensionsal that beer has become, once a fruity, complex and splendid ale, now a yeasty mess.

It is better fresh. Loses a bit with aging. Funny some people pay more for aged Coopers Sparkling Ale!

sinkas said:
Oh and when I picked upa sixer of Sparliking ale recely in Sydney, I was shcosked at how one dimensionsal that beer has become, once a fruity, complex and splendid ale, now a yeasty mess.
[post="88350"][/post]​

It might not be Coopers fault.
I'm amazed at how disappointed I am with former favourite beers these days now I can make my beers as malty or as hoppy or as anything else I like to match my tastes.
Bloody home brewing versatility!!!

sinkas said:
What are coopers thinking, they proclaim to be this oldy worldy ale producing good old family south aussie firm, then they come out with a couple of lame lagers...why not a IPA or a porter or summat?

[post="88350"][/post]​

But I have to agree.
Something a little more oldy worldy Coopers would have hit my spot.

Preparing for the LN takeover perhaps?
:beerbang:

i notice a real difference with the younger Coopers Ales
I only really stumbled upon it because the bottlo bloke was getting the freshest pales for me (for extra yeast viability) and i noticed just how sweet and fragrant the young beers are.

Coopers have been producing crappy lagers and assorted other stuff for years.
In the mid 90's they put out a beer in cans called black crow,failed dismally.A bit later they released a premium filtered ale with a wanky label in glass,It was the same beer.Now a days its called heritage premium ale, the blurb here

http://www.coopers.com.au/beer.php

is exactly what used to be on the premium filtered bottle neck label

They were also doing a Thomas cooper premium lager some years back that tasted like southwark premium to me :blink:

I would only be guessing ,but the new lager is probably not new at all and just a cynical relabel in time for summer.

Isnt it time for the 2005 Vintage ale release? or has that been canned?

sinkas said:
Isnt it time for the 2005 Vintage ale release? or has that been canned?
[post="88461"][/post]​

No I think it will still be in bottles :p

(sorry) :ph34r:

Back