New Coopers Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr1me

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

not sure if you guys know yet, but coopers seems to be bringing out a new beer

Coopers Mild Ale @ 3.5% alcohol

I guess its there to compete against mid strength brews and the like.

cheers
pr1me

Wonder if it will be a true Mild or a weak bitter?

Jovial Monk

Sounds like they're resurrecting the old Black Crow, if not in name.

Jovial_Monk said:
Wonder if it will be a true Mild or a weak bitter?

Jovial Monk
More like a plain old coopers pale ale made to 3.5%
You'll actually find they have been making pale ale at a lower starting gravity for some time for the export markets in japan etc.
As for will this be a true mild? in your dreams this is just a beer to compete with the 'golds' made by the other swillers.

Jayse

The beer is supposed to be in the shops from next week (quoting an ad in the 'tiser on 8/10/04).

A little more info from the Coopers site

Coopers Mild Ale

This ale is the product of brewing with a selection of barley and wheat malt, and with no added sugar. This traditional brewing approach provides the smooth malt character which is balanced by a triple hopping of the brew with Pride of Ringwood and Saaz hops. The brew has fermented similarly to its stablemates Pale and Sparkling Ale, with the customary secondary fermentation in the bottle and can. Alc/Vol 3.5%"

An all malt beer with saaz hopping? Sounds a wee bit different from the pale. And it looks like they are going to try the "can conditioned" stuff again, a'la Dr Tim's.
Working under the slogan "Making the world a milder place :) "
We shall see.....

I'll give a six pack a go , bet I will have to wait till the Adelaide trip

The bottleshop on Fullarton Road has it in stock for 28 dollars a carton, according to the blackboard out front.

Ok, purely in the interests of research ;) , I tracked down some down.

Definitely not an English mild, but more in the style of sparkling and pale.
Drier though, perhaps because of the saaz?
There was a lot of yeast sediment in mine, stirred up by quite an active carbonation (lots of little floaty bits dancing up and down the class).
Good head retention and left a fair amount of lace on the glass. Not bad mouthfeel.
Packaged in the familiar Coopers style - but has an orange livery rather than the red of sparkling, or green of pale.

Possibly a fair lawnmower beer?
I could certainly imagine having a few whilst watching someone else mow the lawn :p I'd certainly drink it ahead of the likes of xxxx Gold, or Carlton Mid Strength (which, admittedly I wouldn't drink in a blue fit :D ), but I'd rather have a Banks's mild from the old dart, given half the chance.

A considerable step up on their last effort - Heritage premium, without a doubt.

And it is available in cans too, like Dr Tim's, so good for the campers amongst you.

Carlton mid... blecch... what a horror

thanks for the reconnoitre, stu. i'll be grabbing myself some as soon as i can

Where is that info on the Coopers site? I can't find it.

You have to be a Coopers Club member to read all the secret stuff

;)

Kai said:
Where is that info on the Coopers site? I can't find it.
Hard to find - and I quoted everything I did find.
When you go to the beer section of site the there is a something like a revolving wheel of beer bottles - one of those, if you stop on it, is the mild - click on it for some info.
Strangely there is nothing in their news or press release section.

Ah, that bit. The revolving bottles popped up for a bit but then vanished when i put the cursor over them.

Bloody awful website.

You'll probably find the reasoning behind making the lo-alc beers is two fold. One is to look responsible to moderation drinking.
The second is if they can sell you a mid/low alc for the same/similar price as the full strength beer they pay less excise on the lo alc and make a bigger profit from it.

Back