New Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard_M

Reaction score
I am looking at holding a brewing comp. The winning beer will be brewed at Paddy's Brewery in a 6hl batch. ALL GRAIN ONLY. The winning beer will be added to our range. 4.8%alc/vol max. If you live in Sydney or are willing to travel then you are required to be present on brew day. If the beer is popular we will keep it on tap. Is this a good idea yes or no?
Any feedback is welcome. I will take all suggestions on board and post the final guidelines for the comp at the end of March.
Cheers
Gerard

Yes and no.

Can you imagine the bragging rights? Then again, can you imagine the bragging? :)

All i can say is, where do i enter????

Hi Gerard,
That is an excellent concept.
Sounds like a real goer. An oppurtunity like this for a homebrewer would get some good publicity as well. Maybe the winners beer can be brewed for the year till the next comp?
Bloody fanatastic!!

cheers
johnno

I'd be in for that.
Hope the guidelines won't be to restrictive as 4.8%alc/vol is restrictive enough for me already :lol:
I'll give some more thought to it on the bus this morning in terms of my suggestions.

Doc

Things to remember
Higher Alc/Vol means higher excise. We have to be able to sell the beer at the same price as all the others which is $3.20 as of this morning. We also have to be able to sell 600 litres of the stuff. Remember where the pub is!
Best way to get your ideas sorted would be come in & try the beers we are doing at the moment. This may sound arrogant , but then I don't really care if it does.I am not going to replace a beer that is already on tap. We don't have a Stout, Belgian Ale, Irish Red, Lager, Australian Pale or Sparkling style ale,Kolsch,IPA, Organic, Vienna..................Gluten Free?? Why not!

Beers that I wouldn't bother with- Pilsner, Choc Porter, Amber, Wheat or Pale Ale.
Cheers
Gerard

Perfect.
Gerard I fully understand the reason for the alc/vol requirements. The range of available and suggested options is great .

Stout, Belgian Ale, Irish Red, Lager, Australian Pale or Sparkling style ale,Kolsch,IPA, Organic, Vienna..................Gluten Free??

I've got some ideas on the Belgian Ale, Irish Red and Kolsch styles and am looking forward to the challenge.
In fact if I hadn't already weighed out the grains for Saturdays brew last night (wiesse), then I'd be starting to experiment already.

Looking forward to it.

Beers,
Doc

:( I wanna play too. Sounds like a fun idea. But unfortunately I cant justify getting up to Sydney just for a comp. :(

I'd offer up something like a schwarzbier. I find this the dark beer to win over the non-dark beer drinkers, well at least the one I brew anyway. Black as black with out the bitter/burnt/acrid taste that most people expect and dont like about stouts, instead just the subtle roastyness of Carafa Sp3 and a full malty flavour from some Munich. It's always nice to see peoples faces when they say I don't like dark beer, and I say "Just give this one a try".

Sounds like a fun comp. Good luck to all entries.

Cheers, Justin

Hi Gerard

It would be good if you make it open to all Australia and allow postal entries, I for one would fly to Sydney at my expense to see my beer upsized in a real brewery in the unlikely event of winning.

How long would the Sydney visit need to be - from brewing to tasting the fermented result about a week?

Would there be a limiting cost per litre for the ingredients for the beer to be viable?

Would someone in Sydney be able to do some tasting and post detailed notes on the existing beers to give us foreigners a better feel for what would fit?

Would an ESB be on the list of possible additions?

Great idea.

Simon

Guest Lurker said:
It would be good if you make it open to all Australia and allow postal entries

GL, Reading between the lines I think it is open to anyone.
The proviso is that if you win then you have to come and help brew it. Sounds like you are up for that :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Sounds like a top idea Gerard. I'm in for a laugh. Didn't give the Mash Paddle a go in the end, but hve broken my comp duck elsewhere so it is all go now :D

Shawn.

Ok, I probably misread that too. I thought you had to be present for the judging but it appears not.

Any more info Gerard?

Cheers, JD

I'm not an AGer (yet ??) but I think this is a great idea. If I was an AGer I couldn't think of anything better than my own brew pouring from a public tap.

Maybe this might just be the thing to push me to the dark side. <_<

mmmm..... mash tun, kettle and a $hit load of luck :p :(

Maybe just maybe - no guts no glory :D

Cheers

slap slap "c'mon quincy - wake up its just a dream!!!"

Oh the competition :blink: :(

But the bragging rights :p

"Relax quincy - its all right. Go back to sleep"

Great idea Gerard, I will be in on it. Have a read through the mash paddle guidelines, that may give you some ideas for your comp.

Will there be any restrictions along the lines of local grains only?

Could the winner take home a keg full of brew? Or maybe a fermenter full?

All the best with setting the comp up.

pint of lager said:
Could the winner take home a keg full of brew? Or maybe a fermenter full?

All the best with setting the comp up.
[post="46539"][/post]​

Top idea POL. Now why didn't I suggest that? :p

Shawn.

Count me in too, a great idea, but maybe it would be best to limit the styles to something you think you can sell in your area. Just a thought.
Regards
Andrew

It would be great to get a keg of the resultant commercial brew that you developed the recipe for and helped brew.
mmmmm, maybe time to dust off that 45 litre keg :p

Doc

Yes Doc, I have a 45 litre keg spare too.

I could lend you a 200 litre drum that would make a great fermenter. I am sure you could use it somehow as a dispensing keg. Just need a fridge big enough.

Only kidding Gerard.

Great idea, Gerard. I'd be more than keen to have a go.

- Snow

Latest posts

Back