New Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerard_M said:
Things to remember
Higher Alc/Vol means higher excise. We have to be able to sell the beer at the same price as all the others which is $3.20 as of this morning. We also have to be able to sell 600 litres of the stuff. Remember where the pub is!
Best way to get your ideas sorted would be come in & try the beers we are doing at the moment. This may sound arrogant , but then I don't really care if it does.I am not going to replace a beer that is already on tap. We don't have a Stout, Belgian Ale, Irish Red, Lager, Australian Pale or Sparkling style ale,Kolsch,IPA, Organic, Vienna..................Gluten Free?? Why not!

Beers that I wouldn't bother with- Pilsner, Choc Porter, Amber, Wheat or Pale Ale.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="46501"][/post]​

Any chance of telling us foreigners exactly what you have on tap already? Or is that choc-porter, pils, amber, wheat and a pale ale? :)

Well the feedback has been positive so it looks like a goer.
As I said I will have all the details available at the end of March.
As a rough guide, I only use local grains (Joe Whites). The brewery is 100 metres from the growers markets so it makes sense to use locally produced ingredients.
I use some imported hops as well as local offerings. White Labs yeasts only.Get ready to fill out a brew log that I will include with the entry details later. You don't have to fill in every square & if you don't have a ph meter don't worry.Single Infusion mash only.
Anything over 5% won't move quick enough for various reasons, mainly all of our regulars need their licence. Anybody that has any questions can come in for a Pilsner & a chat.
Cheers
Gerard

Hi
Graham Sanders did the same thing in Townsville with there local micro brewery. It went very well from memory as i won with my Kolsh and I sent them my recipe and they made the beer. used the wrong yeast and changed the hops and at the end of the day it was not the same beer.
Then again part of the prize was 6 post mix kegs. Had to give Mel Robson from ESB one keg as he lent them to me. One keg leaked and went flat. I enjoyed the 4 remaining and it came at a great time over Xmas 2002.
I dont know how long the beer lasted at the brewery. If they made the beer as it should have been it might have lasted longer. Then again it was a nice prize.
It was my first time I had entered a State Comp and the best prize.
Cheers
Ray

great comp. almost making me regret buy my spearfishing gear rather than buying some AG gear of you....
oh well next time... next paycheck maybe....

Gerard,
Its really nice to consider Gluten free beer, but you can't make an all grain gluten free bee using just an infusion mash.

The gelatinisation temperature of the gluten free grains is about 75C, so with an infusion mash, you either extract bugger all from your malt, or kill off all your enzymes at the gelatinising temperature.

You need to do Schmitz process decoction, for it to work.

Robert

Robert- I have been given a heap of info on Gluten Free Brewing, just haven't had time to read it. Bit of a bummer that a single infusion mash won't cut it. I will try a 22litre batch in the garage one day soon as I have a mate who is Gluten Intolerant & whinges continually about drinking water all the time.We make him feel better by reminding him his Liver is healthy.

Entry details will be available at the end of March. You can do some homework by coming in & trying a few of our beers. The competition will be open until June 30. That should give you enough time.
Cheers
Gerard

Back