New Burner Maybe Better Than A Nasa!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausdb

Copper kettles don't kill people....
Reaction score
I have a new burner for my AG setup, I only found it by chance as it was in a box of old oxy gear my dad gave me when he closed down his engineering business but its awesome!!!!

Its a primus/sievert blowtorch with a model 2944 burner and can output up to 86 KW/hr at 4bar (400 kPa) which is 309 MJ or at reduced pressure 2 bar 51kW/hr which is 183 MJ. NASA SHMASSA this is king of the hill!

Sievert_blowtorch.JPGsievert_2944.JPG
I set it up so it pointed up towards the centre of the keg and let it rip, the picture doesn't really do it justice but it was very controllable, more so than the gas burner I was using previously that you can see. The flame spread out across the base of the kettle and then bounced back around the lower rim. I will try and take some better pics of it to show it to its full effect.
sml_IMG2891.JPG
If you want a good burner keep an eye out for these in cash converters or secondhand places

Cheers Ausdb

ausdb,

You just need to find a nice safe way of mounting it under the boiler.
I take it from your report the heat spread out nicely so you didn't get too much heat localisation ?

Beers,
Doc

A quick update, heres a pic I took doing a batch a few weeks ago. The flame spreads out well across the base of the kettle and creates really good convection currents inside the kettle. I have stand now that the handle is clamped to but are still using my old cast iron burner as a pot stand

Blowtorch_flame.jpg

The 50mm burner is a bit much for only a 1/2 kettle boil (20L) even with the reg set to 2 bar I couldnt't trun the heat down enough so concentrated the boil a bit more than I would have liked to. I will get a smaller burner and try it for my next batch.

Cheers, Ausdb

I used them a few times ,not for brewing , try adding oxy. that's what the other inlet is for , then you should be able to melt a hole in your keg :lol:

Batz

Batz the handle I have only has one valve so is a bit different to the pic that was just a quick grab off the net.

Back