New Bunnings "fermenter" Style Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used the fermenters, i've only used the cubes.
I made my first AG batch an then cubed it directly (using vinyl tubing) into the Bunnings BMW cube. I probably should have run some boiling wort into a glass and let it cool in hindsight.
I had rinsed the cube out a few, maybe three times. Twice with boiling water from my urn.
I poured the cube into my fermenter last friday after being in there for five days. There was an extremely noticeable taste of plastic in the sample i took for a hydrometer reading. I had some US05 in the fridge so pitched it just to see if the flavour dissipates over the course of fermentation.
At this stage I'm considering not wasting any more hops on dry hopping it because it may be a lost cause.

It would be a real shame to have to tip my first ag batch due to a plastic taste from the cube!
Hydro taste yesterday (sunday) had a plastic taste to it.

I've since soaked it in a napisan solution (about 1 lid to 25L) for a few days. then rinsed it out a few times with hot water.
I cubed up a dunkel yesterday so fingers crossed it turns out well.

I have 3 of the fermenters. I rinsed, gave a perc/met soak, and sanitized. No discernible plastic flavor in the 6 beers I've brewed, including a couple pale milds, where I think it would have shown up clearly.

I've used one of these for a couple of brews and they are really good!

Small enough to handle 23L batches and are much easier than the larger 30L typical brewshop fermenters

Have never had any plastic taste or smell since i've used it, however I did give it a good wash with PBW prior to first use.

I think any new vessel or equipment should be washed prior to first use, as you don't know what is on the surface, whether it is just dirt/dust or a film left over from the manufacturing process.

im thinking that maybe the addition of near boiling liquid may be one of the main factors here?

A soack for a few hrs with baking soda and hot water gets rid if the smell. I use the 25 l and the 15l all the time. I fit 2x 15l containers in my ferment fridge, great for split batches.

Just noticed on the bunnings website that all of the blue fermenters seem to have had a $6 price increase. Now $26 for the 30L and $22 for the 25L.

Bastards!

Just noticed that Supercheap Auto have the 25L blue fermenters on sale atm if anyone is interested.

75ad08a8-6610-4a92-9a18-9b67dc55791d_zps9f142b96.jpg

Dixon said:
Just noticed that Supercheap Auto have the 25L blue fermenters on sale atm if anyone is interested.
Good find Dixon.

Does anyone know if the 20 litre jerrycan shown above has the bunghole pre-drilled?

They have quite normal rubber O rings as you can make out from the labels displayed on the photo.

Also I just used a bit of lube to make sure I screwed it in really tight

Later when I got onto the fermenters themselves the taps went in fine

:ph34r:
If you've got a tight ring then yeah you'd definitely need lube!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

If you've got a tight ring then yeah you'd definitely need lube!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

If you drill the right sized hole sometimes its easier just to push in some tubing and use a blow off tube.

With a clean hole some beer line will make a good seal in the lid.

I haven't used the fermenters, i've only used the cubes.
I made my first AG batch an then cubed it directly (using vinyl tubing) into the Bunnings BMW cube. I probably should have run some boiling wort into a glass and let it cool in hindsight.
I had rinsed the cube out a few, maybe three times. Twice with boiling water from my urn.
I poured the cube into my fermenter last friday after being in there for five days. There was an extremely noticeable taste of plastic in the sample i took for a hydrometer reading. I had some US05 in the fridge so pitched it just to see if the flavour dissipates over the course of fermentation.
At this stage I'm considering not wasting any more hops on dry hopping it because it may be a lost cause.

It would be a real shame to have to tip my first ag batch due to a plastic taste from the cube!
Hydro taste yesterday (sunday) had a plastic taste to it.

I've since soaked it in a napisan solution (about 1 lid to 25L) for a few days. then rinsed it out a few times with hot water.
I cubed up a dunkel yesterday so fingers crossed it turns out well.

I realise this is 4 years too late but for the benefit of others, I would put money on it being the vinyl tubing coming into contact with hot wort that was your problem. PVC is not heat resistant. Always use silicone tubing far transfering hot liquids.

Back