New Brewing Equipment: Brewie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parktho

Reaction score
Hey,

Was trying to find a discussion on this new brewing machine I've seen but couldn't find one.

Thoughts?

I just wonder how it keeps itself so clean. Hygiene will be critical if its also carrying out the fermentation.

Thomas.

Not a bad price but I'm of the opinion that the more electronics in an item the more chance you will be sending it back. I'm skeptical of the way things are made these days.

It looks like it will get off the ground which is a good thing so time will tell I guess.

For US$1400 I think it's a bit of a bargain considering all the tech that's in it. Touch screen, tag reader, internal computer obviously and comes with a few kegs. Reliability would be a concern especially on the first run of units.
The BIAB concept looks pretty safe. I'd be interested to see what sort of efficiencies it gets and how customisable the hop additions are, and how easy it would be to do things like adding roasted malts late in the mash for example. Also keen on knowing how it cools.

Tough market for it though. The bulk of the home brewing scene past K&K is moving very much into the 'do it for the love' bracket where having a machine that you put grains it and wort comes out kind of moves away from this. I'm trying to think why your typical AG home brewer would go this over a Brausmeister. Cheaper, tidier, self-cleaning... but fairly devoid of interaction and 'love'. A good thing in one regard, but something for the market to decide.

There was a thread for this last week, but I can't seem to find it now
Seems to be a copy of the Picobrew Zymatic

As my spine rots away within me, cue the small violins please, I am looking for a more convenient way to brew at home... one that's less interactive... but my taste has expanded with age, so I've bought into the Brewie idea. It takes BIAB and makes it as simple as making toast; all that's left to do is keg/bottle, carbonate (by your favourite method), and drink.

I'm a mechatronics engineer by trade, so I can appreciate and understand the level of work and function that kit like this requires. For the ~A$2000 (present price with postage and exchange rate) the Brewie represents good value if it does as advertised. You would be hard pressed to assemble the parts for much less, never mind developing the control circuitry and software.

I, like the design team, have done my homework; they've won some worthy accolades and garnered some proper support to make their campaign to market a, potential, great success. Google the details mentioned on their campaign page, on Indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brewie-world-s-first-fully-automated-home-brewery

The Brewie team have already got my money.

"World's First" might be a bit much of a claim, but it's certainly a few big steps ahead of anything else I could find that uses grain and traditional methods... and certainly much cheaper than the likes of http://www.williamswarn.com/ which comes in at ~A$7,000 to ~A$8k depending on options and freight, and uses cans of gloop/concentrate.

Mind you... if I were ever to be so well cashed up... the Brewie and WilliamsWarn (WW) would make a great pairing; full grain brewing done in the Brewie, with only one transfer required to the WW for secondary fermentation and fining.... and only the WW that needs manual cleaning.

sp0rk said:
There was a thread for this last week, but I can't seem to find it now
Seems to be a copy of the Picobrew Zymatic

Nope... quite a different kettle of fish than the Picobrew... the Brewie is basically a 2 kettle system, pardon the pun. :)
(Or two kettle/tun hybrid might be more correct.)

Oh-oh, you've mentioned WW. Thread derail imminent.
Two completely different concepts though - one makes wort, the other ferments beer. A price comparison shows the value for money of the brewie though. Or the lack thereof of the WW.

AzzA68 said:
Nope... quite a different kettle of fish than the Picobrew... the Brewie is basically a 2 kettle system, pardon the pun. :)
(Or two kettle/tun hybrid might be more correct.)
Same concept, slightly different execution
close enough

G'day All,

there's been an update on the specifics of the Brewie system and it goes to answer a lot of the questions that I and others have had.

In a nutshell; the Brewie is a BIAB wort machine.
It makes the whole process as easy to use as a dish/clotheswasher (I'd have said microwave oven, but those things are all too often designed by fecking nutters... who the fook wants a sandwhich thawing cycle?)
It does everything up to the point of fermentation... and then it cleans itself.

Coupled with the supplied 5L kegs and/or a cornelious rig and you're drinking easy. ;)

I'll copy & paste so as to save ya a clickin' finger any undue stress...

The Brewing Process and Fermentation

How long does it take to finish a brew?

It depends on the type of the beer, but it generally takes between five and six hours to brew. That’s followed by five to 14 days of fermentation, during which the sugar becomes alcohol and CO2 before it’s ready to drink.

Can I add more than just two hops to a brew?

Sure! Two hops can be added automatically, while you can add further hops manually in any quantity. Brewie can alert you for manual additions as often as you’d like. Later you will be able to add four automatically!

How does Brewie get its water supply?

You can either connect your Brewie to your water pipes or fill it up manually before each brew.

Does Brewie add yeast to my brew?

No, you need to add the yeast yourself, after your brew is transfered to the fermentation tank.

How much beer can I brew with Brewie during each brewing process?

The batch size can be between 5 liters and 20 liters depending on your recipe, the parameters you set and your preferences.

How do you get the beer out?

Brewie has an outlet on the back to which you can connect the outlet tube that is shipped with your Brewie Package. There is a tactile switch on the side of the machine that you simply need to press once brewing is ready. Brewie will pump the brew out automatically.
How does carbon dioxide get into my beer?

You can either wait for the natural carbonation process developing under pressure inside the kegs we provide, or you can use an external CO2 tank.

What is Brewie’s average mashing efficiency?

The mashing efficiency is valued at approximately 70%. The exact value depends on the settings for mashing time and mashing temperature.

How does Brewie cool the wort down to pitching temperature?

Brewie comes with two water-to-air heat exchangers and powerful ventilators. This means that you do not need to cool the wort using tap water. On average this will save you around 100 liters of water every brew! Additionally, this ensures that the wort will be only 5°C over your room temperature after merely 30 minutes!

How can I make 10, 15 or 20 gallon batches?

Right now we don't have machines capable of doing larger batches, but the technology is scalable. Alternatively, you can buy more than one Brewie. :)

Can you dry hop?

Yes, dry hopping happens after the primary fermentation. There’s a dry-hopping program in the Brewie system that helps you boil and cool your hop-extract.

Is it possible to oxygenate the wort before fermentation?

During the cooling, the wort circulates and falls back to the tank, which makes it oxygenate itself on a relatively large surface. However, if we want to brew a higher gravity beer, we use one larger fermentation tank and we pour the wort from a height of approximately 60 centimeters. This makes it nice and foamy - just as if we oxygenated it by hand!

Does Brewie brew using extract?

No, its all-grain!

Can you add adjunct fermentables?

Of course!

Do you have to clean out all the hops manually?

No, the hops are also placed inside a bag, so it’s easy to clean

What temperature does my wort need to have for fermentation?

If you brew an ale, room temperature (18-25°C) works well for fermentation. However, if you’d like to brew lager you need to cool the brew to 8-15°C. Therefore, you may need a separate cooler. We are currently developing an efficient cooling unit that can keep the four included Brewie kegs at a stable temperature during the fermentation process.

Ingredients, recipes and the Brewie Pad

Do I have to order the ingredients directly from you or can I use my own?

You can use the ingredients you typically buy at your local brew-shop. You can use them inside the reusable brewing bags provided with every Brewie. They are equipped with zippers to make it easy to refill them and to wash them in the washing machine.

P.S. I don't have anything to do with Brewie other than being a keen customer of their startup.

If all goes to plan, I will post a review once I've got the thing and made some brew... about October 2015.

If you apreciate crowd funding, bargains, and homebrew, then check out the Brewie... get in now for an early deal (with elements of risk) or wait for full retail in late 2015.

As someone that designs and builds things, the crowd funding movement (KickStarter & IndieGoGo etc.) is somewhat a major revolution... it allows designers/builders/creators to become fully fledged producers on a scale suited to the popularity of their concept, or fail trying with much less personal risk. It also lets early adopters/customers own the product in a much more personal context.

Cheers,
AzzA
(That's enough from me; I'm aready 3 stubbies into the evening. :p )

Edit: I cant copy & paste for shite...

For anyone interested: the Brewie project is now a go go. They've made their first US$100k target required to tool-up and spool-up for production.

If you're keen, you can still get some early adopter/backer bargains.

My guess is these will end up retailing for a lot more (than presently), especially if they get a local AU/NZ distributor rather than direct shipping from the manufacturer.

Four days to go and they're knocking on the US$200k mark; which ups the anti and they'll ship with capacity for four hop additions during the brew.
"

$189,717USD
raised of $100,000 goal

190%
4 days left

This campaign started on Dec 02 and will close on January 31, 2015 (11:59pm PT).

"

Are you associated with the project Azz? I'd like to know what kind of efficiency they are getting. That way of spraging looks interesting too.

G'day ekul,

I'm not associated, but I am invested; I've backed the project by placing an order. (I work in mechatronics and instrumentation, so I know what they're doing is highly feasible and straight forward enough... and I really like beer.) Call it a well-educated punt.

They've got a good looking team, and I'm not talking asthetically, so capability and likelyhood of fulfilling the project is very good. They also have some good backing and have garnered support locally and abroad.

From the campaign site:
"
What is Brewie’s average mashing efficiency?
The mashing efficiency is valued at approximately 70%. The exact value depends on the settings for mashing time and mashing temperature.
""

$193,165USD
raised of $100,000 goal

193%
3 days left

This campaign started on Dec 02 and will close on January 31, 2015 (11:59pm PT).

"

Hi Azz,

I like the Brewie and Ive also looked at the Picobrew Zymatic, have you seen the picobrew?

Pratty1 said:
Hi Azz,

I like the Brewie and Ive also looked at the Picobrew Zymatic, have you seen the picobrew?
http://www.picobrew.com/about/brewingvideos.cshtml

Looks like a lot of manual work still... buggered back :( ... and it's more expensive. I'd rather not use a Corny for the primary fermentation, because of the handling and cleaning, so that would another job to be done. Oh, and you'd need to buy at least one Corny and a gas kit, if you weren't already holding. But, the Picobrew is market proven.

From the Picobrew website:
"
ORDER NOTICE
Your credit card will be charged for the price of your order once you complete this checkout process. Orders will be fulfilled in the order they are received. Shipment dates are estimates. Shipping costs and taxes/duties are not included in this transaction. Shipping and taxes/duties will be charged in a separate transaction immediately prior to shipping. If this transaction cannot be completed your order will be cancelled and you will received a full refund. This order may be cancelled for a full refund anytime prior to product shipment.

SHIPPING DATES
Due to unprecedented demand and product order backlog, products ordered today ship in 7-9 weeks.
"
So, it's still a case of pay now and get much later.

Stux said:
It's pretty much a Brutus 20 with a bag for a manifold. The hop diverters are an interesting addition.

http://www.alenuts.com/alenuts/brutus20.html
Yep, the idea is pretty simple. It's just the automated control process and choice of parts that's demanding. Very, if you don't know what you're doing. The Brewie team are mostly engineering graduates, so enough knowledge and some talent equals success. I wish them luck... not just with my money. :icon_cheers:

The Brewie also goes electric all the way, so no gas associated issues, and it's all packaged into a benchtop unit. It just ticks the boxes for something that can live in most homes, without being obtrusive to the other occupants or a PITA (or back) to use.

Just checked the Brewie campaign site:

"
We are very impressed by all the support from everywhere in the world! We have received pledges from Europe, North- and South America, Asia, Africa and Australia!
Due to this overwhelming support from You we are able to include the feature for four hop additions to every Brewie we build! This includes every pledge you already made or will make in the future!
"

Now it's toe to toe with the Picobrew and has the leg-up on flexibility, automation, and self cleaning... to mix my metaphors. :chug:

Latest posts

Back