New Brewer - Q about temperature control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Hegarty

Reaction score
So I've just entered this rabbit hole and have got a beginners kit from my local brew shop in Geelong. Coopers pale is the first attempt.

Temperature control is my biggest challenge, the room that i am fermenting in varies from 12-25. Unfortunately we have a cold house. I've wrapped the containor in towels to try and insulate but im wondering if there are any suggestions? Reading some other threads i think I'm going to need an old fridge! Or is there such a thing as a brew heater?

And given the less than ideal conditions will this first brew be drinkable?

+1 for STC1000 temp controller, heat belt and fridge.
I have a mate that made a belt with pockets for ice bricks in summer and turns his heat belt on manually every night before bed then turns it off in the morning. Although it's affective I think it's a pain in the ass. I got a free fridge from a mate and bought a controller for about $60 and $20 for a heat belt. Look on gumtree for a fridge only steer away from fridge freezer units as the freezer section will go mouldy as it's not on all the time!

Definitely look at getting a fridge. I’ve got an ITC-308 which is similar to the STC1000 but comes pre wired and you just plug in the fridge and heater device (I have a heat pad stuck to my fridge wall)
Super simples

Back