New brewer in Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendoll

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just registered and thought I'd say hi. Had this site recommended by a member on a BBQ forum I am a member of.

Currently have a Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat going in a Copper Tun kit.

Been wanting to try home brewing for a few years but a mate over in WA doing it finally got me off my ass and giving it a try. Would love to be able to brew my own imitation of Blue Moon (since Molsen Coors won't bring it over here) and Sam Adams Summer Ale (since it is my wife's favourite beer) some day. Favourite beers are Franziskaner and Wicked Elf Witbier, and Blue Moon.

Look forward to asking stupid questions and getting some good advice (have already bookmarked the howtobrew website :))

Cheers,

Ken

hey mate, good to see you over here.
btw no such thing as stupid question just stupid people.

Hey barls, yeah had been sniffing around (since so many people recommended this site) for a while I thought I should register. Finally got around to trying the kit I got from "What's Brewing". It's kicked it off 2 Sundays ago now, looking to bottle next weekend. It says 5-7 days but 2 weeks should be ok shouldn't it?

Ken

two weeks should be better mate. will give the yeast more time to finish and clean up. once its done it will happily sit the within reason.
just think of it like a pulled pork mate. its not what the instructions say its what the readings tell you.

hey mate, welcome!

i love the blue moon too - tried it for the first time on their brewery tour last time i was in CO. amazing!

Welcome to the world of home brewing. Drop into The Brew Shop at Peakhurst too. They are very new brewer friendly.

Thanks for the welcome (and advice).

As for Blue Moon, I had a Screw the Moon for the first time in texas last year, basically a Screwdriver with Blue Moon upturned in it instead of vodka.

Like the PP anology barls. :)

Will try to get to the Peakhurst Brew Shop too at some point.

Ken

+1 for the brew shop in peakhurst. great range there.

welcome aboard kendoll, i'm sure this new hobby will give you years of enjoyment

what could be better than getting wired on your own brew waiting for your meat to cook :D

donburke said:
welcome aboard kendoll, i'm sure this new hobby will give you years of enjoyment

what could be better than getting wired on your own brew waiting for your meat to cook :D
If you have been slow cooking the meat on the BBQ then I guess you may have been drinking quite a lot of your own beer ay Don? :chug:
kendoll, this place has a wealth of knowledge. If you are keen to learn its the right place to be looking.

Byran said:
If you have been slow cooking the meat on the BBQ then I guess you may have been drinking quite a lot of your own beer ay Don? :chug:
kendoll, this place has a wealth of knowledge. If you are keen to learn its the right place to be looking.
i'm brewing an ipa this saturday, winter warmer, will let you know when tapped to get dimi and you over for a session

Yep, Sans Souci it is. :)

The idea of tucking in to my own brisket or pulled pork (covered in a home made sauce and some Mad Hunky rub) and washing it down with my own brew does sound very appealing. :)

Ken

brewing on saturday if you want to come join me ken.

Hey barls. Cheers mate, not sure if I can make it this Saturday. Where are you in Sydney (might see if i can squeeze it in)?

Ken

Hmmm. I will see what I can do. Might be having people over and was going to do the 4kg brisket I have in the freezer.

Ken

So, this Sunday it will be 4 weeks in the bottle for my first attempt. Was thinking of putting a couple in the fridge and trying them. Only ended up doing half the batch (other things, including my laziness, got in the way).

Will see how this goes before deciding on doing any more soon.

Seems to be quite a bit of 'sediment' in the bottom of the bottles, but the line of 'gunk' at the top seems to have gone. :mellow:

Ken

kendoll said:
So, this Sunday it will be 4 weeks in the bottle for my first attempt. Was thinking of putting a couple in the fridge and trying them. Only ended up doing half the batch (other things, including my laziness, got in the way).

Will see how this goes before deciding on doing any more soon.

Seems to be quite a bit of 'sediment' in the bottom of the bottles, but the line of 'gunk' at the top seems to have gone. :mellow:

Ken
Besides the most important bits of advice, such as cleanliness, yeast health and temp control, the next most important is "Dont get lazy" I'm sure you used the word in a different manner, but laziness in homebrewing is asking for trouble. You quickly get big build ups of mouldy gunk if youre too lazy to clean your fermenter promptly. Letting your gear, including bottles get gunky is a PITA!!! Cleaning next time round is horrible. Laziness breeds laziness, so you cut a corner here, another there, all of a sudden, you have an infection in your brewhouse that would have survived Hiroshima. Lots of us are about minimal effort / time, but not laziness, when it comes to particulars. You really need to plan your time well. Its pretty difficult to do brewing and something else at once, especially when youre getting used to your system. I know youre doing K&K at the moment, but you will probably progress to mini-boils and more and more complicated brewing. Then you wont want to let other things get in the way.
Enjoy your brewing, it can be a wonderfully rewarding experience.

Back