New Braumeister user, Beersmith recipe Q's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spamdecs

Reaction score
Greetings folks

I've recently joined the braumeister team and am looking at putting on my first brew with it on the weekend (Fullers ESB clone a la brewing network podcast). I was hoping you braumeister and beersmith users could give this recipe the once over for me as well as checking out my beersmith settings.

I've had a look at some of the settings from braumeister users here, hopefully I've got the right numbers in the right places. I'd really appreciate it if any of you kind folks has a spare moment to have a quick look at them for me.

As far as the recipe goes I took some notes from the podcast and punched them in here, notes are in the notes section of the recipe.

The colour seems way off but I guess I'm not too worried about that unless I'm missing something crucial.

My other concern is the gypsum. I've only used calcium chloride in the past, how are the quantities of salts looking for melbourne water?

Anything else I should be looking for?

Wish me luck!

Cheers

Declan

View attachment Fullers ESB.bsmx

Here are my specs for water for an english bitter with the additions for RO water.

You will have to know what your base water profile is to get the water correct.
I would say that you might need to add some Calcuim Chloride

These additions are for 34 litres (that suits my system) I see your recipe calls for 33 litres.
Put all the figures into beersmith and it will work out your additions

Name: RO ENGLISH BITTER
PH: 7.00

Ions:
Calcium: 150.00
Magnesium: 10.00
Sodium: 40.00
Sulfate: 275.00
Chloride: 137.00
Bicarbonate: 15.00

Additions:
Gypsum: 14.4
Salt: 3.5
Epsom Salts: 3.4
Baking Soda: 0.0
Chalk: 0.9
Calcium Chloride: 5.2

Notes:

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

Hey Dicko,

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about adding gypsum, salt etc. as ingredients or do you set up water profiles for whatever style you want to brew? I can't see how to make beersmith tell me what salts to add...

I find Beersmith fairly unintuitive, although it's probably from that case of mental retardation that is going around at the moment.

Cheers

You can either try and replicate the alleged water profile of fullers or you can just add enough calcium sulphate to get your calcium levels right. If that doesn't put your sulphate levels out from where you want them then that's enough. if it does, adjust by getting some of your calcium from calcium chloride additions. I add salts based on the flavours I want and the pH I want rather than reported profiles of breweries/brewing centres.

Melbourne water is quite soft and generally needs calcium in some form. A water quality analysis for your supply (which reservoir/reservoirs it comes from) is essential if you want to work this out. Easy to find though:

http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/library/water_storages/water_quality/Typical_analysis_of_Melbournes_water.pdf

I don't use beersmith so I can't open your recipe or assist with how to add salts etc but I add salts to the mash and salts to the boil. If you have high pH water, (which you won't) adding salts to the sparge is a good idea.

I think beersmith has a list of famous brewing centre profiles somewhere that you can tweak or add your own. I wouldn't rely on the defaults as water profiles change all the time and breweries are not guaranteed to be using town/well/river/local/whatever water without adjustments.

Nice one! I guess I better start checking that pH more then :)

Latest posts

Back