New Bjcp Style Guidelines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
The BJCP have updated their style guidelines. You can get the new ones from here.

Here are the basic changes. I know it's geeky, but what can I do. :rolleyes:

Summary of 2008 Changes to the 2004 Style Guidelines
1. Added chart explaining how color descriptors were mapped to SRM values.
2. Made sure references to other style categories within the guidelines were consistent.
3. Updated style parameters (OG, FG, ABV) to be mathematically consistent and to use a more accurate
Plato-to-Specific Gravity formula.
4. Removed + signs and comments from style parameters; comments on style parameters are now in
the Comments section. This will better allow the style numbers to be used in databases or
calculations.
5. Revised commercial examples, removing examples no longer available or no longer good examples of
the style, adding new examples, updating the ordering reflecting the best current examples of the style.
6. Described some pale lager styles as having a pils malt character.
7. Significant rework on many Belgian styles (especially Saison and Bire de Garde), to bring the
guidelines into agreement with more modern reference works (especially the three Belgian beer books
published by Brewers Publications).
8. Revised the ingredients and comments sections of many Belgian styles to reflect more accurate
information on recipes and methods.
9. Dried out many Belgian styles, especially Saison and Tripel. Adjusted IBUs in Belgian styles as well.
10. Dried out Imperial IPA.
11. Minor tweaks on some styles to reflect more accurate style profiles (Munich Helles, Dortmunder
Export, Bohemian Pilsener, Munich Dunkel, Klsch, American Wheat/Rye, Dsseldorf Altbier,
Southern English Brown Ale, Baltic Porter, Foreign Extra Stout, American IPA, Imperial IPA,
Witbier, Berliner Weisse, Flanders Red, Flanders Brown, Rauchbier) these updates were generally
from direct brewery visits, discussions with authentic brewmasters, and local research.
12. Clarified the differences within the Foreign Extra Stout category (Tropical vs. Export).
13. Changed references from candi sugar to caramelized sugar syrup.
14. Clarified alcohol character in some beers of high alcohol content.
15. Removed American Stock Ale variant from Imperial IPA and moved to Specialty.
16. Clarified where certain unusual beers should be entered (chile beers, nut beers, wood-aged beers
where underlying style is already wood-aged, etc.).
17. Clarified base style declaration requirements in Specialty Beer category.
18. Listed minor beer styles that are examples of styles that can be entered in Belgian Specialty Ale and
Specialty Beer categories.
19. Updated definition of sweetness levels for meads.
20. Clarified that chocolate, coffee and nut-based meads should be entered as metheglins.
21. Reformatted style chart to be more legible.
22. Added more historical notes to the Southern English Brown Ale style, based on data from Manns

:huh:

Shit Stuster...... you must really know those guidelines to pick all that!

I thought i was bad :lol:

cheers and thanks for the heads up..... going to look now.

yeah i found that when i opened your link :)

I downloaded my self a copy!

cheers

Thanks goodness that they're now more in line with our Aussie guidelines. :)

Remember all that fuss about the AABC adopting the BJCP styles. All they really needed to do was take a leaf from our book, straighten up and live right. :lol:

This topic probably means little to non-competing brewers, and any subtleties in my comments above will be lost.

Thanks for the updates, Stu. I did find that some recent examples of IIPA provided by Hunter brew club members were much more balanced than the BJCP would have sugested. Gee, that tasting was a big night. :party:

Beerz
Les :p

Good work Stuster - any idea if BeerSmith will update their style list?

Cheers, Hoges.

No idea, Hogan. Maybe post on the Beersmith forum and get them moving along on it. :D

Good work Stuster - any idea if BeerSmith will update their style list?

Cheers, Hoges.

Posted this to the BeerSmith forum and Brad the Mod advises that it is in the pipeline.

Cheers, Hoges.

S'pose the same will happen with Promash and Beeralchemy(sp?)

Might not happen for a while with Promash, Linz. I've read that the developer's wife is seriously ill so any development on the program is on hold for now.

Back