New Bjcp Online Exam Format Launched - Brisbane Based Bjcp Tasting Exa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
On April 1st 2012 a new BJCP exam format was launched consisting of a 200 question online theory exam with a 60min time limit costing only $US 10.

To become a Recognised/Certified BJCP Judge you now need to pass this online exam (>60%) and a 6 beer Tasting Exam (which determines your overall score) instead of the legacy 3hr essay which included a 4 beer tasting component. You still need to earn experience points to become Certified.

This new system seems more realistic and achievable to get started in the BJCP than the previous grueling affair.

To progress any further than Certified you then move onto a higher level written essay exam, are required to get higher scores and earn many more experience points.

All the details and the new study materials are available here. BJCP Website

I am trying to organise a Tasting exam later this year in Brisbane, probably to coincide with the State Championships (First 2 weekends of September) as I'll hopefully have BJCP judges in town to run and proctor the exam as well as help judge our State Championships which is a sanctioned BJCP competition.

It would be great if Brisbane based Judges could let me know that you are interested and when you have passed the online BJCP entrance exam.

We are originally looking for 12-20 people to sit the first tasting exam later in the year.

The latest info on the BJCP webpage says 70-75% pass rate on the new entrance exam and over 100 people have taken the exam already (similar pass rate to the old way).

I managed to pass on my first go after reading the materials given on the BJCP web page. I would encourage everyone to take the online exam if you are interested, but suggest reading the new study guide, judge procedures manual and the document about the entrance exam before you do as I was really pleased I took the time to do it. Don’t forget the guidelines – you’ll need them too!

It is an open book exam, but there isn’t really a huge amount of time to reference the guidelines during the exam. You certainly couldn’t look up all the answers.

There is a possibility of us running preparation sessions for both the written and practical exams at a local Brisbane drinking establishment in the near future (depending on interest). This would consist of theory and themed beer styles evenings and closer to the time for the people sitting the practical exam we'll get the Siebel flavour kits in to doctor the beers with everything from Diacetyl, DMS, Acetaldehyde, Phenol, Bitterness, Lightstruck, Alcoholic, Sour etc. to prepare for the exam and learn our palettes. Stay tuned.

C'mon Brisbane - let's get some BJCP Certified Judges :)

Cheers,

Dave Clarke
Deputy Brewmaster Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers
Chief Steward Beer - Qld Amateur Brewing Championships 2012
Provisional BJCP Beer Judge (waiting for a tasting exam)

To add to that (I'm currently helping organise/run a study group in Melb and hope to sit the tasting exam in june), there is a sample exam on the website and you can sit the actual exam as many times as you like (minimum one day wait in between each sitting) as long as you pay the $10 fee so even just for practice, it might be worth checking it out and seeing how you go and what you need to brush up on.

You need to register in order to take either the sample exam or the real exam and you need to purchase the real exam or add the sample exam to cart (free - it's just the process they use) from here: https://secure.coursewebs.com/bjcp/pageCatalog.aspx

Register here: https://secure.coursewebs.com/bjcp/pageRegister.aspx

Additionally, anyone interested in being involved/organising a study group who doesn't already know:

The BJCP subsidise fault tasting kits from siebel for groups who have scheduled an approved exam. It's free in the US but for Australians, it's simply the price of postage. Pretty good, considering the kits are $190 from siebel + postage.

Details here: http://www.bjcp.org/cep/kits.php

As discussed PB, my EOI is in already. However, due to a few external factors, uncertainty reigns supreme for the next few months so I myself may face some challenges in completing the requisite study and assessment, however I'll put my hand up early for any preparatory events and hopefully FSM is willing in the mean time. :icon_cheers:

To add to that (I'm currently helping organise/run a study group in Melb and hope to sit the tasting exam in june), there is a sample exam on the website and you can sit the actual exam as many times as you like (minimum one day wait in between each sitting) as long as you pay the $10 fee so even just for practice, it might be worth checking it out and seeing how you go and what you need to brush up on.

Just thought I'd better clarify.

It seems that, contrary to how I first interpreted it, if you fail the online exam, you need to re-register with a different username before re-sitting.

Less easy (still possible I guess) to do a few practice ones before hitting the real thing.

The website is a little convoluted.

Check here for details: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_Entrance_Exam.pdf
Also new study guide published last month: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_Study_Guide.pdf

And other info available here: http://www.bjcp.org/examcenter.php

Well, that's been long enough......

Has anyone else passed the entrance exam yet?

I need to start looking at booking a tasting exam soon if we want to run a few focused beer style nights, apply for any subsidy from BJCP, have time to practice with the flavour kits, and get Andrew down from Townsville.

Anyone?

Dave

Sadly, I seem to be responding to myself in this thread.

Everyone else has got onto the bandwagon and booked BJCP tasting exams.

Now the wait time for a tasting exam is at 14 months.... I put the paperwork in so the soonest exam is August 2013.

It appears that the BJCP are not marking any extra tasting exams so the wait time has blown out.

Please also note that the expiry on the entrance exam is 12 months. If this rule doesn't change, it means that you need to get your tasting exam booked and confirmed, then wait until within 12 months before you take and pass the online entrance exam :blink:

So...don't rush out now and get your entrance exam passed as it could expire before the tasting exam comes around.

Wait until we have a confirmed date.

Cheers....

Dave

PS - I we don't get enough interest in Brissie, I'm willing to organise and travel with a small group to another city to do the tasting exam (and many beer explorations)

PS - I we don't get enough interest in Brissie, I'm willing to organise and travel with a small group to another city to do the tasting exam (and many beer explorations)

That sounds like an excuse in the making ;)

(can I come too)

Bunch of us doing the tasting exam this Saturday morning in Melbourne. Doesn't help you out though.

Bunch of us doing the tasting exam this Saturday morning in Melbourne. Doesn't help you out though.
I was making inquires to jump in with you guys at the last minute on that one...but never heard back :unsure:

Never mind....We'll get there.

I was making inquires to jump in with you guys at the last minute on that one...but never heard back :unsure:

Never mind....We'll get there.

I'll make enquiries.

Apologies on behalf of the group - I myself never heard anything but it makes things difficult for you.

I'll make enquiries.

Apologies on behalf of the group - I myself never heard anything but it makes things difficult for you.
No need, it was really late in the picture and it was probably just an excuse to come back down to Melbourne anyway :icon_chickcheers:

We'll map out a plan from here working on Next year, but a small group from Brisbane may be keen to get the certification sooner rather than later and could travel to an exam to make up numbers...

Cheers,

Dave

I'm definitely keen. In fact I picked up all the study material yesterday, planning on doing the online exam in the next week or 2. Oh well... I guess I can wait another year :mellow:

Cheers - Snow

Latest posts

Back