New BIABer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punchy

Reaction score
Hello All,
After a 6 year break from brewing while travelling I am back into this highly obsessive hobby. Have recently graduated to all-grain beers using BIAB and have been astounded by the marked improvement in the product. I'm currently brewing an American style IPA albeit using Wyeast 1318.
A question I have though, I've now used 1318 across four brews. Can someone advise whether the process I am using regards yeast is sane. I tend to wait til fermentation is complete, take a clean glass jar that has been filled with boiling water (lid as well) then emptied, allowed the jar to cool, then skimmed it across the top of the brew to "harvest" the yeast which then is sealed and goes into the fridge and is pitched when next brewing. Am I taking unnecessary risks with this method?

Punchy

That's how they used to do it in the old style UK breweries, but nowadays a lot of them use conicals so I guess they just harvest yeast cake from the bottom . Personally I just pour liquified yeast cake into PET bottles (500ml spring water bottle for example) at the end of kegging and they keep for weeks and months in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back