New Beers For New Micro

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What beers would you and your mates or female friends like to have a a new brewery

• North German Pilsener

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Lager

• Wit beer unfiltered

• American Wheat filtered

• American Pale ale

• Kolsch

• Australian Ale

• Amber Lager

• Others

• Total voters
Ray_Mills said:
Doc
Do you think the dark ale is just and other Tooheys Old
Would a nice Swarzbier be better
Ray
[post="48457"][/post]​

A Swarzbier maybe better, but a lot of ordinary beer folk find them too sweet. I was thinking something between a JS Amber and JS Porter.

Beers,
Doc

Depending on what yeasts you can use, a wheat would go well, with perhaps a little honey in there, the public seems to like that. It is probably true about the schwarzbier/stout thing, I mean if I know what an IPA is, the public has no chance picking up the textural differences between a stout and a schwarzbier... but you there to sell beer right? I say give them what tastes good, kolsch/alt, dunkel/schwarzbier, a nice American pale/amber, and perhaps add a 'daring' stout or IPA in there for shits and giggles.

Ray

My vote is for an Oatmeal Stout. Tasted Grumpy Thomas's version a month or so ago and it was very nice.

How many beers will you be able to serve at any one time??

Good luck !!

I went for the Kolsch, for much the same reasons as Gough.

It's the kind of style that should sell well because it won't offend the mega-swillers, yet will still please beer geeks.

Hi Ray,
I was just earlier this evening reading the Vienna, Marzen, and Oktoberfest chapter in the Designing great beers book.
I came across the Abzug which is a "low gravity lager brewed for quick consumption" Unquote.
In this day where everyone is aware of drinking and driving maybe an easy drinking lower alcohol content beer may do well.
Thats my 2 cents.All the best with whatever you do. I'm sure it will be a success.

cheers
johnno

I believe you Ray, But shit , I use to drive 1100km down to Sydney every 3 months and look foward to having a bock at Picton when I got there.
PHUUUck , what now. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yeah, what Johnno said.
I'm going to be making a lightish honey wheat, a 4.5% southern brown and an IPA for my party soon, which should cover everybody's tastes. It's tricky to get the beer light but still have the flavour of something heavier... looks like you've got lots of options at least!

Johnno

I recently listened to Rays interview on Craftbrewer radio, (I run 3 months behind on most things ??!!!). I'm not sure he has a low alcohol beer in him. There were some very big beers discussed !!!!!!!!!!!

:p ;)

Ray_Mills said:
Kook
My local HBS has better beer on tap than what Picton has at the moment. If all of you don't believe me go and taste yourself.
Ray
[post="48483"][/post]​

I beleive you, I'm just somewhat dissapointed! I've only been there once but its a shame to see a brewery that produced 3 tasty beers have gone that downhill.

Great thread and some great responses from some brewers.
Iam sure you have alot of things already covered Ray but it does make for a interesting thread reading everyones ideas.

Happy brewing
Jayse

Good Day Ray
Given the schwarzbier, kolsch and northern german pilsner you brew you have to start with them. An Australian wheat would be a choice of the more timid customer but a soft vienna would be wonderful.
A nesrby German restaurant often has a dark German lager on tap. Somewhere between a dunkel and schwarzbier (always a matter of good debate) and it is wonderful.
The venture sounds really interesting, where do you get the time?

Hi Ray,

I voted for your Kolsch because it is so damn good!

Ray

I hope it all goes well.

I have visited a few micro-brewerys - and i think u need to plan what market you want - beer Nerds & Yuppies, or mass market.

I favour the Beer Nerds and find a niche taht no one else brews/does.
Great advertising - ie the only micro brewed Kolsch, swarzbier etc in Aus. Being different from the others helps.

U could look at doing 2 differeny light beers - a lager and a dark, or even a ginger beer - Port DOck make a 3.5% Ginger Beer.

Braidwood does a Low Alcohol Stout (i think they still do).

u could go for :
- 2 lights
- 2 house beers - for the masses - pale ale & ????
- 2 speciality Beers - scwarzbier, bock or even a Barley Wine.
- 2 seasonal beers.

Just soem ides - do you have a brewery name yet?

Hope this helps

Ken...

I went for pilsner, wit & American pale. Have never had kolsch but after reading Gough's post will be seeking some out.

Personally I would love to see an Amber Lager on tap at any micro.

I reckon enough people would have heard of the Oktoberfest and if that were on tap it would pique up interest.

The other style I would love to see is an English Ordinary/Special Bitter on hand pump. Something like Everards Tiger or Timothy Taylor Landlord. The Poms do an excellent job on packing heaps of flavour into these beers. And you can drink them all night long!! :chug:

That's my opinion anyway.

Good luck Ray.

C&B
TDA

I think we are forgetting to ask a key question here. Where is this new micro going to be located Ray?? In the gong??

I think instead of an Amber Lager, go for a steam beer.

Tim

Tim said:
I think we are forgetting to ask a key question here. Where is this new micro going to be located Ray?? In the gong??

I think instead of an Amber Lager, go for a steam beer.

Tim
[post="48524"][/post]​

Mmmm... Steam Beers. :super: There's just something about their robust simplicity that I love. Certainly gives you an appreciation of Northern Brewer hops.

One of my favourite styles.

Also Ray. Go for glory. Don't forget to include a seasonal Sticke Alt. :chug:

Warren -

- A really light coloured lager. If the micro has the space/time to do lagers..... maybe a 'CAP'

- Kolsch would be nice..... but an 'ALT' would be nicer , and a little different. (Quick turnarounds with a kolsch yeast still)

PS. The Red Lagers over here in the west did realy well at the Duckstein this summer

Asher for now

Back