New Beers For New Micro

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What beers would you and your mates or female friends like to have a a new brewery

• North German Pilsener

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Lager

• Wit beer unfiltered

• American Wheat filtered

• American Pale ale

• Kolsch

• Australian Ale

• Amber Lager

• Others

• Total voters
I'm thinking Irish Red, a darker Oktoberfest along with the stable light lager, dark ale.

Beers,
Doc

gday ray
hard call to suit the drinking public but i would love to see a schwarzbier.colour wise may not be everyones cup of tea ;) but its a great beer.the one and only schwarz ive done has gone down really well with my mates.
maybe a nice pale ale would go down well as most people thanks to coopers promo of there pale ale can relate to this style.

cheers
big d

Witbiers sell quite well from what I've seen, along with anything marked Pilsner.

North German Pilsener to move quickly.

... and it's my fav style.

Ray, your'e not that far from Geoff Scharer's Pub at Picton.
As you know he's been making two good beers and a light for 10 years with great success. A lager and a bock. Nothing else but consistently two good beers.
Would like to know what that micro is worth now.$$$$ Millions$$$$$.

Tallgum
Was at Picton last week
They now have a brewer (female) who came from the wine industry.
Their beers are very, very, ordinary.
Full of off flavours from hi temp fermentation.
Drink their beers in winter
Ray

Ray,

I voted for Kolsch. In terms of potential popular appeal it is a). Pale - a lot of people won't drink balck beer
B). Balanced - not 'too much' hop flavour = mass appeal
c). Easy drinking - gravity/abv/body all within range of Aussie beers - won't scare anyone off too much
d). Even given all of the above it is 'different' - will give punters a reason to choose your beer over anything else. I'm guessing some sort of point of difference would be important.
e). It is a bloody nice style! Gotta be worth something :)

Good luck with it all. Hope you brew something you are happy with and that it is really successful.

Shawn.

Not quite sure why I have a smilie there for point b but I'm sure you get the picture...

Shawn.

Sad to hear that Ray, What a pity to stuff up a good micro thats been operating so good for so long, Last time I was down there a few months ago they had a german brewer making decent beer. I suppose old Geoff has had his day and all good things must come to an end. Pity.

Hi Ray,
I voted Kolsch, as I'm sure you can now brew your recipe without changes (I'm referring to your post on Gerald's comp :) ).

Just a note from recently purchasing beers, one bartender and also a bottle shop checkout worker have both commented on a strong dislike for anything with a pilsner name, both advising me to not purchase "pilnsers" as they are too bitter, needless to say that what I purchased, but it maybe a growing perception. I didn't ask for their advice but it was offered anyway as I mulled over which beer to purchase.

At our local when I went to purchase a Tooheys Old (best of bad bunch), the bar manager (I spend too much time at pubs :) ) said "whats the go with Old, I'm selling heaps of it lately". He run out that night (it was in bottles, and no I didn't drink it all). So a schwarz could fill a void.

I can't decide between kolsch, schwarzbier, dunkel (which is similar to schwarzbier, my favourite style) or a choc wheat. I think there is a lot of potential in those styles, you can even get the kolsch halfway to an alt if you like.

I wanted to vote Swarzbier, just thought the Kolsch might have more popular appeal. Especially if you already brew an excellent version. Maybe you could take Dunkelboy's suggestion and brew an alt and a kolsch. Save on yeast :)

Shawn.

Many micros go with seasonal beers. This works in a couple of ways:
- gives the punters something new to drink every few months
- keeps things in line with the seasons, eg. weizen in summer, dark ale/porter/stout in winter.
- gives you the only practical way of judging which beers your customers want, by the sales of each of them.

Personally for winter I'd do a porter or oatmeal stout. And dont forget a beer that ladies wont mind drinking, something similar to the james squire golden ale goes down well with the female contingent. Low bittering hops, slightly sweetish and a bit fruity with the flavouring/aroma hops.

A Swarzbier or Kolsch would be fantastic, but dont skimp in educating the public in what they are (I barely know myself). Lots of people aren't too adventerous with strange, foreign sounding beers, so you have to get them over that hump.

Good luck with the venture, I'll have to drop in for a pint next time I'm over.

Tallgum said:
Ray, your'e not that far from Geoff Scharer's Pub at Picton.
As you know he's been making two good beers and a light for 10 years with great success. A lager and a bock. Nothing else but consistently two good beers.
Would like to know what that micro is worth now.$$$$ Millions$$$$$.
[post="48468"][/post]​

What happened to D'Lite? It was the most "impressive" beer at Scharers in my opinion. I thought the Bock tasted and smelt better, but considering the very low ABV D'Lite was the winner in my opinion.

Pacific Northwest-type Cascade monster (APA).

Just look LCPA. Anywhere the Yanks go we're sure to follow. Weizens also seem to lure the punters too.

Your average beer-ignorant would just deem a schwarzbier a well-rounded, mild stout.

Warren -

As noted above, white (wheat/wit), with the slice of lemon/orange seems to sell well, and ladies don't mind it. BeezNeez is making an impact here in Melbourne.

Or for seasonal biers maybe a belgian fruit-based beer, should go down well with the ladies again. If you get the lady to have a beer, the guy with her will have one too or look like a wimp :)

Back