New Beer Styles Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Hi guys, i am looking to expand my limited exposure to international beers and was wondering if you could recomend some different international beers for me to try. I have read some stuff on SAMUEL ADAMS and ANCHOR STEAM BEER from the USA. I want to try a BOCK, IPA, WHEAT BEER and anything else you guys can throw at me. :chug:

Some of my fav imports are timothy taylors land lord a pommy pale ale.
Also a new one just recently come into oz is trafalgar india pale ale which is great.
All this said i don't think you can go past some local micro breweries like lawrence victor and mountian goat.
They rock and are fresh as a daisy.

Jayse

Anything you can find from Belgium (well not Stella). Expect the unexpected!

For the classic German Wheat beer, try Schofferhoffer Hefewieizen (try sying that three times when you're pissed!) and Crystalweizen.

- Snow

I don't know, but, to me the Samual Adams Boston Lager tastes like a purely malt extract brew. I've had six bottles of this from different batches (differentiated by the "Use By Date") and they've all had a heavy malt extract flavour with a slight hoppiness (?). Haven't been able to pick what hops they use. But, then again, this just might be my taste buds........

I have to agree Hopeye. I made a 4kg liquid malt extract lager last year and it tasted remarkable similar to me. My brew was hopped with Tettnang.

the web site for samual adams tells all about the beer.

Try and locate the Erdinger range of beers, Weiss, Weissenbock, DunkelWeiss etc.
From NZ try and find some of the Monteiths beers.

Beers,
Doc

I have to agree with Jayse and Doc. Jayse for Mountain goat [not all but most] and Doc Monteith is a nice little "secret".

Steve

SJW,

After the big win from those Knights tonight you'll be needing a good beer. I know I've had a few... There are too many to try and there have been some excellent recommendations so far in this thread, but I'll just make one suggestion based on local knowledge. If you're after decent imported beers as well as most of the interesting locals, head to the Beaumont Street Bottle shop (Corkers I think is its official name). I don't have any association, but they have the best range in town. Lots of lovely Belgians, some good Bocks including Salvator - you name it they just about have it. My personal fave of the moment is the Gulden Draak from Belgium. Bigger than Ben Hur, try it on a cold night and you won't be sorry...

A happy Knights fan,

Shawn.

Windhoek brewery in Namibia brew to the german style and to the old rheinheitsgebot (??) German purity laws. And, because of the parlous state of their currency, you can sometimes get them for the same price as VB!!!

Nice pilsener and a fairly strong Urbok if you can find them.

My favourite beer of the last year or so is Belgian - Trippel Karmeliet. Originally brewed by Karmeliet nuns this uses three grains - Barley Wheat and Oats (sorry JM no rye) and for complexity of flavour is hard to beat (IMO). Not cheap though.

I tend to agree with Rubes. Seek out your nearest Belgian Beer Cafe (if you have one nearby), and be prepared to take your credit card with you, and a taxi home :rolleyes:

It depends on the style of beers that you like. I tell anyone who wants to expand their beer tasting to start with any Belgian brew such as Chimay, Westmalle, Rochefort, Hoegaarden
American, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Liberty, Rogue Yellow Snow, Pyramid Wheat. If you cant find any of these at your local bottle shop you can research them and brew them!

The boston lager by sa has ht ehops ect on their site so its bittered with halletua mittlefrua and tettnanger or u could bitter with vanguard

Back