New Beer: Coopers Heritage Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Reading in the paper this morning that Coopers have released a new beer "Coopers Heritage Lager".
From the article and the pictures of the bottle it looks like they are trying to tap into the premium market.
Nice looking bottle too (lots of silver and gold).

Aparently they are using a new yeast strain and it is made with 10 % unmalted maize, Super Alpha and Cascade hops.

It is also filtered.

As it came out last month you Adelaide boys must have tasted it by now. Any good ?

Beers,
Doc

Heritage_20Website.jpg

DOC

I bought a six pack....it is Heritage Pale Ale...

A bit gassy, lacks teh classic coopers flavour profile - probably due to different yeast and not bottle conditioned.

There is more bitterness than in other Coopers beers. Not much in the aroma stakes.
Also, Not nearly enough hops for me.
Coopers Stout, Thomas Cooper Lager, Dark Ale and Pale Ale are the ones i like. :p
Best Aust commercial beer for me is James Squire Indian Pale Ale. :chug:

I knocked off a 6pack of it last night.

I thought it tasted 'ok', no real body to it. I reckon it would make a good session beer on a hot day, coz they went down quick and easy .....

$13 ish for a 6 pack, and about 5.2%. The people i was drinking it thought it was a mid strength beer.

The bottle looks terrible tho. .... that label makes it look like that non-alcoholic beer you can get at the supermarket.

I'd drink it again tho

ps - does anyone think it tastes a LOT like the old coopers draught (before they switched to the NEW (lager) draught?)

I didn't think much of it. Trying to tap into the premium market, but it looks cheap. A bit like Birrel bottle with an Empire crest thrown in.

Fairly gassy, thin and lacking depth.

Their own web page and club newsletter describes it as something like "a chill filtered, top fermented, lager styled ale".

And bad news GMK, you won't be getting any more Thomas Cooper stubbies. They've ditched this and the Premium ale (previously Clear) to introduce this.

Not as bad as the old draught, but not worth sheling out for.

Beats me why the family keep trying, and failing, to produce this style of beer when Pale, Sparkling, Vintage and Stout are so much better.

Just noticed a semi-promotional piece in the Adelaide Review for December.

Here's a couple of not so randomly chosen quotes:

"(close your eyes and you could almost be drinking a Crownie)."

"Crown Lager and co better watch their backs."

'nuff said?? :(

crown lager and co better watch there backs.
gee they have lowered there standards since the move to regency park.
i will stick with there pale ale for the mo

wee stu said:
"(close your eyes and you could almost be drinking a Crownie)."

"Crown Lager and co better watch their backs."
:eek: :( :angry:

Missed this thread.
I thought you guys were talking the kit can from the active thread list so didn't bother to read.
Anyway I live with in 10 mins walk from regency park and this is the first I have heard of this.
If it were'nt for the crown lager referrence from what you guys have said Iam sure I will like it at least a little bit.
I'll go grap a bottle or two.
I think with this they should be trying to compete with lcpa and msb instead of crown.
money versus good beer?
if they were a rock band the fans would scream 'SOLD OUT'.

With living next to coopers, i drive past for gigs at all hours of the nite once I could really smell the fresh wort, I hit the brakes and stopped to take in the wicked smell.
unlike west end coopers smells great i have only noticed this once though not all the time. But I bet it does smell like that there a lot of the time.

MORE I.P.A.S' JAYSES
sorry no song lyrics tonite.

Back