New Aussie Brew Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
For those looking for an Aussie intro into beer and homebrewing, and lacking the time and dedication for extensive ebay searches or second hand bookshop trudgery, Laurie Strachan has brought out a new and updated book.

Laurie is the other expat Scottish homebrewer who writes about beer and brewing :p
His previous books are The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia 1993, and Great Beers of the World and How to Brew Them At Home 2000

His new book is The Complete Guide to Beer and Brewing. The book doesn't really live up to its grandiose title, but it is a dinkum Aussie beer and brewing book. It certainly builds on and improves his previous efforts, and if you don't yet have a brewing book in your library, there are far worse places to start.

I've noticed it creeping into a few of the big boys (Dymock, A&R) Xmas catalogues, so it should be readily available.

Production values are high, and at 272 pages, there is a lot of information to be gleaned.

The bulk of the book (the first 150 or so pages) is largely devoted to a discussion of the various beer styles. If nothing else, this part of the book should further entrench the domination of the BJCP approach in Australia. Each style has a short intro from Laurie, which is followed by an often more extensive, if edited, cut and paste of the BJCP style guideline.

Part 2, some 40 pages, introduces us to basic home brewing - from kits to extract baed. There are only 8 kit based recipes, and they seem quite similar to the ones in Great Beers of the World...... The extract brews are a new addition, but as someone who never dipped his paddle into extract brewing, so to speak, I don't feel qualified to pass meaningful comment.

Part 3, advanced brewing, gives very much a crash course in all grain brewing in 12 pages, followed by 20 pages of workable recipes that, understandably, focus on the most readily available grains and hops. Basic but workable stuff.

Part 4 runs through aspects of handling, serving, tasting and eating with beer.

AHB gets a mention in his list of resources on the web, though a number of notable home brew suppliers don't. The list of microbreweries is not nearly as up to date as that provided a couple of months ago in Willie Simpson's The Beer Bible, including as it does, for example, Lawrence Victor which closed a couple of years back. Parochially perhaps, I noticed that newer SA entrants like Gulf and Steam Exchange are absent.

All in all this is a handsome, and welcome, update to the previous Strachan canon. The most noteworthy addition, however, is the large slab of BJCP derived information.

I bought the book, because I always buy any beer book I come across.

My advice to others is to check it out first in your local bookshop. Maybe even add it to your Xmas wish list, and let a loved one spend the $30 on you. You know you are worth it after all ;)

This may be the most comprehensive book on beer and brewing yet produced in Australia. We still have a way to go to catch up with our American brewthren.

I bought Laurie's previous effort not longer after I started a few years ago and cannot speak highly enough of it as a resource for a beginner.

This book immediately improved my kit beers and gave me the impetus to move into extract and partial brewing.

If this new book is anywhere near as good then I would hearilty recommend it for relatively new brewers.

I thought this book was quite dissappointing, but at least he seemed not to place Australian megaswill on a similar level to some of the world's greatest beers. On the other hand, it did seem like a brief run-through of the BJCP style categories and the section on actually brewing beer is so brief as to not be worth the bother.

Probably a book for those with no exposure to anything except CUB and Tooheys.

The new book repackages a lot of the old material with some updating.

He has moved with the times, in recognising the growing importance of the premium and microbrewed sectors of the market.

Not a bad introduction to world beer styles.

The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia... was a fantastic book, and (from memory) bagged most Australian megaswill as the tasteless crap that it is. It provided a lot of good information and a basic guide on all aspects of brewing. This was one of the first books I owned, and gave me the drive to move on from K&K to extract and all grain (with the help of Charlie Papazian's books!)

Great Beers of the World... seemed to be a half-assed effort and included a disappointing range of basic kit recipes. Generally, not much more information than could be found in a pamphlet at your local HBS, bound in book format and flogged to the unsuspecting public (i.e. me)...

The Complete Guide to Beer and Brewing... is a welcome return to Laurie providing basic information for beginner brewers. There's a lot there, and although I haven't read it yet, my first impression is that it is a condensed version of The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia....

Just another note - KMart and/or Target are stocking it at ~$25 so you might want to look there first?... ;)

I've noticed it creeping into a few of the big boys (Dymock, A&R) Xmas catalogues, so it should be readily available.

I bought the book, because I always buy any beer book I come across.

My advice to others is to check it out first in your local bookshop. Maybe even add it to your Xmas wish list, and let a loved one spend the $30 on you. You know you are worth it after all ;)

Thanks wee stu you just saved me from another unfashionable and ill fitting T-shirt which I will never wear as a Christmas present from the Outlaws. You know the type you smile and recieve gracefully only to tossed it in the rag bag as soon as they leave. Got the good lady of the house to seek this book out for my present from the Outlaws this year, she said she found it at K-mart at Munno for $22.

I picked this book up at The Dymocks sale at Indooroopilly (QLD) yesterday for $12.50. They had a few copies.

Got this one around 2 or so weeks ago from Dymocks (I think) at Castle Hill Towers. Pretty good read. Only still being a reasonably entry level brewer, I'd say it's more suited to that type of market, wouldn't really help the AGers out there. All in all, a good read.

Cheers,
Andrew

It has a good section on styles (as referenced above), which is good for browsing without checking the computer. Plus a few food recipes in the back. Definitely worth the $12.50

Back