New and excited.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bald Head Brewery

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this brewing caper, first brew was successful but I have a question about non fermenting beer.

If my brew doesn't start to ferment can I rack it into another fermenter to try and activate the yeast?

Regards

Baldy

Need some details there mate. Recipe? Extract or all grain? Which yeast? What temp did you pitch it at?

What makes you think it's not fermenting?

Sorry just a question in general, no issue as yet with second brew, I was just asked by a mate who has just started as well.

It's not a general question, there are many factors. Hence the followup questions above

No worries. A lot of newbs think their brew is not fermenting because they can't see any bubbles in their airlock. This is not a good indicator of fermentation hence the question (and also the subsequent kitten reference).

A hydrometer reading is a much better indication of fermentation progress or stalling. Krausen formation and condensation can also be indicators of fermentatio.

If you're friend is convinced that his brew is not fermenting a better solution is a very gentle swirl to rouse the yeast.

Yep, earle is spot on here, I recently had two side by side identical brews in my fridge using different yeast (WL041 & WL051). One bubbled for 8 days pretty consistently, the other stopped after two days and didn't seem to be active. I was actually worried about that one because the yeast was out of date and I had to build a stepped starter for my first time ever. Two weeks later, the one that stopped gurgling after a couple days attenuated 2 points lower than expected and the late bubbler one point lower. So, don't take airlock activity to mean anything, hydrometer readings speak more truth..

I understand that getting the same question would be annoying, just like toddlers asking why all the body time.

^bloody?

my first fermenter had an air leak and wouldn't bubble unless the lid was sealed on with duct tape. Nowadays I just use a cheap big W SS pot and watch the action through the glass lid, no airlocks' required. Works a treat and a hell of a lot cheap than a fancy custom ss brewing fermenter..

^bloody?

my first fermenter had an air leak and wouldn't bubble unless the lid was sealed on with duct tape. Nowadays I just use a cheap big W SS pot and watch the action through the glass lid, no airlocks' required. Works a treat and a hell of a lot cheap than a fancy custom ss brewing fermenter..
may i ask how do you decant the beer out after its fermented,? have you put a tap on the side?
i do agree about the requirement for an airlock being trivial, i went through the batemans brewery in lincolnshire UK and they primary in big 5000l open tanks.

hi Koshari
The beer can be siphoned out from the top using a length of hose (that's what I do), or alternatively a tap can be installed on the side at relatively low cost.

19L at Big W for $20

perfect for what I do (12L ferments) to fill 10L kegs.

Back