New Analytical Services for brewers - a survey

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
Hi All

The Australian Wine Research Institute is considering offering analytical services to craftbrewers, homebrewers and hop farmers. It is something I have loosely been involved in by advising a few things i thought would be of interest to these groups. Targeted water analysis for those who use rainwater, or a more uptodate measurement of your mains water.

The commercial lab is starting out by first conducting a survey to see if there is enough interest for this to go forward and is offering the chance to win $500 worth of analyses.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3136482/Beer-Industry

Cheers
Smurto

cool - done

Just as a note, I am about to get my water tested at a dedicated facility. They require the samples to be taken after 10.30 am and be delivered with ice, esky and bottles (which they sent me in the mail) before 3.30 or so same day. Sending interstate might have it's problems.

Hop analysis would be handy for home grown hops

good stuff Mark

"I'm in" Did the survey but doubtful if they would be in a position to provide a service to me being located in Western Australia

But as the saying go's ": If you don't ask you cant be told no"

Cheers

Wobbly

I don't see why not. You can send a 375mL beer bottle for water analysis or any beer analysis. We analyse wine samples from all over the country although admittedly, more from within SA.

Done! Wouldn't be something i would use often, but it would be interesting to have beers tested every now and then. IBUs would be an interesting one, and wild yeast infections. I think white labs offer this service to home brewers a few times a year.

Did the survey, but opted not to go in the draw. Would rather leave it for someone who will make more use of it than I would.

droid said:
cool - done

Just as a note, I am about to get my water tested at a dedicated facility. They require the samples to be taken after 10.30 am and be delivered with ice, esky and bottles (which they sent me in the mail) before 3.30 or so same day. Sending interstate might have it's problems.

good stuff Mark
I also looked into getting my water tested as well, and certain tests need to be carried out within a few hours of bottling so that ruled me out.

droid said:
cool - done

good stuff Mark
I suspect the limited time frame is more to do with microbial testing than mineral analysis.

Really hoping hop analysis comes through, but water would also be great. Survey completed.

BUMP

You have until the 20th of January to do the survey and get in to the draw for $500 worth of analyses.

I've been told that we will be offering hop oil analysis this year so if you, like me, grow your own and are interested in knowing what is actually in them (alpha/beta acids, hop oils etc) then this is your opportunity. Not sure yet of price but once I know i will update you all.

The response from the homebrewing community has been excellent, originally this was only going to be sent out to the craft breweries but I suggested homebrewers and the rapidly expanding, small scale hop farming industry were areas to get in to. As homebrewers, we are passionate about our hobby and I suspect many of you will want to get some more data on your water, understanding actual IBU, potentially identifying microbial infections etc.

So if you haven't already done so, jump in. If you don't want to give your contact details you don't have to, it is only if you want to go in the draw for the $500 analysis prize.

Mark do you have an idea of what a basic mineral analysis might cost? Are you able to do water analysis now? I still haven't sent my water away but it's $250 + GST ! I have a mate in another area keen to have his tested as well...

droid said:
Mark do you have an idea of what a basic mineral analysis might cost? Are you able to do water analysis now? I still haven't sent my water away but it's $250 + GST ! I have a mate in another area keen to have his tested as well...
I am not sure of prices at this point but I have been making the case that the homebrewing market is large and to price analyses at a point that takes out this market is not clever so I am hopeful it will be reasonable. We currently do not do water analysis as a service although I do get water based solutions I make in the lab analysed for many of the minerals of interest to brewers so it is within our capabilities. I would hope it is a long way south of $250.

An update on costs for hop analysis (ex GST)

Alpha and beta acids - $140
Hop oil profile - $220

I realise these prices aren't cheap but they are LC/GC methods and for those with any lab experience you'll understand why this is actually quite a good price.

If you are interested, PM me for contact details etc.

Yet to hear a price on water analysis and other brewing analyses (IBU etc). This one has been fast tracked to allow the craft hop farming industry access to local analysis this season (rapidly approaching).

Might be a good option to get a better idea of alpha acid even if it does vary season to season. I'll be getting my Chinook and Victoria analysed to see how close my guesstimate is as I use mine for bittering as well as late additions.

Tentative pricing for water analysis is ~$100 but that is just a very early ballpark figure I've heard. If that is even remotely accurate then I think that's a very good price.

Mark I was quoting for a test that was for organisms and other things. The option I actually need costs $160+ GST
cheers

Through drsmurto's kind assistance, I've had my local water tested.
Worth it from my point of view, as I've never been really happy with my water since moving to Port Stephens. I no longer have access to rainwater, which is what I used prior to moving 3 years ago.

Results here:
warra48 water.pdf

Attachments

• warra48 water.pdf
    203 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for posting Warra48!

I've previously asked Hunter Water about Port Stephens supply and whether there was any update to the following link:

http://www.hunterwater.com.au/Resou...eated-Water-2002-2012--Gresford-2008-2012.pdf

"Thanks for your enquiry regarding analysis of drinking water supplied by Hunter Water.

The link to the table you attached is in fact our latest typical composition table. The typical composition table is based on ten years of data. The table is still a valid indication of typical water quality supplied for each source.

Water supplied to Soldiers Point is a blend of water from Grahamstown and Anna Bay Water Treatment Plants. The proportion of Grahamstown water varies depending on operational conditions and seasonal demand, ranging from 0% to 100%. Under typical operational conditions, the proportion of water from Grahamstown Water Treatment Plant is about 30 to 50%.

Water quality supplied from Grahamstown Water treatment Plant can vary depending on the sources (ie Grahamstown and/or Tomago) treated. Treated water from the Tomago source has a higher alkalinity and hardness than water from the Grahamstown source. Hunter Water has not treated much water from the Tomago source at Grahamstown WTP in recent years. However, that may change, ie we may utilise this source on a regular basis. The data supplied is based on ten years data (ie incorporating years when the Tomago source was utilised). This provides customers (and in particular industrial customers, for whom hardness may affect their processes) with a realistic indication of the range of water quality supplied. In general, for other parameters the treated water quality is reasonably stable, ie the table is still a valid indication of typical water quality supplied for each source."

It's interesting that you're not a fan of the water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back