New Additions To My Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I would post a couple of pics of the latest additions.

P1010031.JPGP1010036.JPG

And my Lager Temp Controller.

This is a ripper

P1010037.JPG

Cheers

The pulleys and motor and gearbox.

125rpm Perrrrfect !!!!!!! 5kg in 3 minutes

P1010035.JPG

Very Nice....

what price was the thermostat controller.

Hi GMK,

It was around $90.00 not incl the box.
I have seen posts of guys paying as low as $80.00 for one but I think you might have to be in the "trade" or take the supplier a few brews. :lol:
They charged me $24.00 for the box, but all it is, is a junction box with a hole cut in it to suit the guage. You even get the template for the hole with the temp controller.
Now I guees there will be the argument that " Ive got X brand and it only cost etc etc,"
But if you consider that this comes with a very accurate temperature guage that is able to be fully calibrated, and all aspects of the controller are easily adjustable then at $80. or $90. it is not bad value.
I got it to control my mash temps but decided that I needed to do a lager so I hooked it up to an old freezer that we used to use for bait.
I will get another one for the mash tun later on.

Cheers

Dicko that is one hell of a sexy mill!
Beeeeauuuuutifulll. !

Looking pretty awesome dicko, top stuff. :super:

Jayse

Thanks Andrew and JM,

Darren,

I estimate it to hold 10 kg of malted barley.
I have only done 5kg batches so far as I have not fitted the new additions to the brewery to enable me to do the larger (50litre ) batches.

Cheers

Hi Jayse,
Welcome back!!
Didn't see you post when I posted.
Yes! I am pretty pleased with it all.
Cheers

Hey Dicko,

I just bought a couple of Dixell controllers (similar to yours but 2-stage), but found that they were hugely inaccurate - at 9C they read 4.5C, and at 61C they read 49C. They were both the same model, and both had the same problem, and the guys where I got them really didn't give a sh*t about the fault (quote: 'if they're not good enough for you there's not much we can do about it'). I got a refund and swore never to deal with them or their products again.

Such a major fault must surely be a batch problem, but I just thought I'd mention it so that you could double-check yours.

Wortgames said:
Hey Dicko,

I just bought a couple of Dixell controllers (similar to yours but 2-stage), but found that they were hugely inaccurate - at 9C they read 4.5C, and at 61C they read 49C. They were both the same model, and both had the same problem, and the guys where I got them really didn't give a sh*t about the fault (quote: 'if they're not good enough for you there's not much we can do about it'). I got a refund and swore never to deal with them or their products again.

Such a major fault must surely be a batch problem, but I just thought I'd mention it so that you could double-check yours.
[post="49907"][/post]​

Hi Wortgames,

Sorry to hear that you weren't happy.

The controller that I have, came with instructions and the calibration of the temperature read - out is fully adjustable.
I callibrated mine against a guage called a digi - therm which is a thermometer that "fridgies" use to determine accurate temperatures for the operation of themostats on fridges and freezers etc.

I dont have the instructions in front of me at the moment, but if I can do it then most people should be able to.
IMO the setting up of this guage was more simple than programming a VCR.

The type you had may not have been adjustable although I did plenty of research on those units before I bought mine and I thought that they all were.

In any case I am happy with mine and you were entitled to a refund if your units were faulty.

Cheers

Dicko, hopefully yours is good. It wasn't a calibration issue - with all those controllers, you can only offset by a fixed number of degrees, and that doesn't help you if the controller is inaccurate across the range. If I offset the temp by 4.5 degrees so it was correct at that temp, it was still over 6 degrees out at 60C.

This may not be such an issue if you usually use it at the same temp, but I'm a pedant and I wanted to be able to use it to control lagering, serving, ale ferments, my HLT and mash temps if i wanted to, obviously without recalibrating each time <_<

FWIW, I now have the Carel equivalent, and I haven't had to 'calibrate' it at all - it is spot on, right throughout the range - as it should be, IMO.

Just felt like I should mention it as it is such a raw nerve for me :)

wortgames,
that sounds like you have bought a thermocouple type temperature controller, is this true? I have had the same thing happen to me because I was supplied the wrong type thermocouple. You must check the controller type, eg type K and make sure the thermocouple is the same or else you will get completely different readings. If you are not sure of the thermocouple type, it can usually be identified by the colour of the wires. check the net for a table.

vlbaby.

Hi Wortgames,

You are obviously pi$$ed off with the service and the equipment from Dixell and rightly so for the bad experience.

I have calibrated my unit at 10 deg c for lagering and I have wound the temp up to 19 deg c for an ale (still fermenting while I type).
A quick check with the digi therm tells me that mine is ok at that temp as well.

I originally bought mine to control mash temps by turning the herms pump on and off to maintain the temp generally at between 66 degc and 69 degc depending on my brew and for stepping from protein rest, but I have not tried it at this temp to test its callibration.

I will probably just get another unit to do the mash control and leave it as a designated unit however before I buy another one I will take the one off the freezer and give it a go to see if there is any calibration issues.
I got the original lead on the info on Dixell units from another forum member who I believe was using it with success.

BTW what is the cost of the Ranco unit and what is the max amps that it can switch without a relay being added?

Where do you get these Ranco units and do Ranco or their suppliers have a web site address?

These questions are not posted to argue your discontent with dixell but I am interested in comparing units as I do intend to buy another one.

I have no affiliation with Dixell blah blah!!!!

Cheers and good brewing

vlbaby,
it happened both with NTC and PTC probes (you can set the unit up for either). Didn't have J/K thermocouples. I also have a Beta controller that I bought a few years ago, and now the Carel ones, so I do have some experience with their capabilities. I can safely say that you shouldn't really need to adjust the calibration / offset whatever (except by point something of a degree, maybe, to tweak for your actual probe). The offset feature is really for use when the probe is not exactly where you want to measure, so you can create an offset to compensate (eg, the probe is in the top of your coolroom but the temperature at the bottom is 2C cooler).

I'm pretty sure that the problem is a bad batch (or a bad model) of Dixell controller. There is no way that for the price, it should be so inaccurate. I have a $20 Dick Smith probe thermometer that leaves it for dead, and both the Beta and the Carel equivalents are accurate.

Wortgames

Wortgames said:
Dicko,

FWIW, I now have the Carel equivalent, and I haven't had to 'calibrate' it at all - it is spot on, right throughout the range - as it should be, IMO.

[post="50092"][/post]​

Sorry for the "Ranco" info request in my above post.

I was talking to another forum member re the Ranco unit and I had other things on my mind when I typed the post.
All other info withstanding could you answer my enquiries with regard to the "Carel" units.

Thanks and regards

Sorry Dicko, didn't mean to ignore your message - still getting to grips with the 'pages' on this forum :)

The Dixell units are definitely the best value, so if you are getting good results then stick with them - I just spoke up because I knew how annoyed I was with mine, and I figured you might benefit from the heads-up while you were still in warranty! The Carel units have the same rating on the relays as the Dixell, I think, but they seem to be about 25% more expensive. I got mine from Actrol in Preston VIC but I have spotted them in Radio Spares, and if you do the legwork maybe they could be found cheaper elsewhere. I chose to go the whole hog and get the 2-stage model - this means they will automatically heat and/or chill as neccessary to maintain the target temp. Even more pricey still but they should come in handy in Melbourne ;-)

I found this info:
http://www.carel.com/carelcom/web/eng/cata...id_prodotto=106

They are similar to the Dixell in configuration possibilities (maybe a bit more configurable, but for all kinds of obscure things we'll never use). I also bought with the possibility of HLT control in mind, although my older Beta controller is probably more suited to that so these will be probably just be used for fermenting / lagering etc. - it's nice to have options though.

I'm still surprised how hard it is to find a simple digital temperature controller at a reasonable price!

Dicko,

I very much like your temperture contoller. I am having problems with my fridge thermostat, and am looking for something new. Where could I get hold of something like this and at what cost would it be. Also how easy is it to wire up.

Back