New 19L cornies: KK vs Mangrove Jack's ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Can't find anything recent so starting new thread.

I'm buying a brand new cornie style keg, dedicated to pressure fermenting lagers.
Reviews on the MJ offering
new-19lt MJ.jpg
or the KK one which seems to be the standard offering on most of the retailers' sites?
New-19lt-keg-KK.jpg
Is it my imagination or is the welding on the MJ keg a bit rough looking?

I have six MJ kegs and 3 KK type. Whenever I'm filling a keg I always go for a MJ keg if there is one free. I just find the MJ ones easier to get on and off disconnects while kegs are in the kegerator.
Not a lot of difference I guess just personal preference.
I haven't found any issues with the welds on my MJ kegs. Three are over two years old the others are pretty new.
My 2c [emoji482]

I bought a new Keg King one recently and based it mainly on the cost between the two. I got the KK delivered for $120 which I thought was pretty good. From memory, an MJ keg was going to be closer to $160 delivered. The KK one is good quality, but the rubber handles do make it a bit fiddly to get disconnects on and off as Bridgey said. I also noted the rubber handles are a lot more flexy than the 2nd hand corny ones.

I have no experience with the MJ kegs, but the KK kegs are good. I prefer them over genuine Pepsi kegs or converted Coca-Cola kegs. Good quality, exemplary welds and I like the soft smooth rubber ends. No issues when used with KK stainless steel disconnects. I also highly recommend getting a KK carbonation lid - excellent bit of gear.

Thanks guys, I rather like the cleaner top on the MJ, I'd guess the Pepsi ones would have been lifted, chucked on and off trucks and carried frequently up and down stairs as soda syrup kegs, so the rubber top was a benefit for quick and rough handling, but can present annoyance for the home brewer, for example removing a post you have to dig the spanner in at an angle and do a quarter turn at a time - ring spanners aren't too flash on the job either.
As home brewers, how often do we really need to move the things, and the MJ has a semicircular handle anyway by the looks of it.

My concern was with build quality but it looks like MJ have that sorted. Peteru I'll be going SS disconnects and didn't know about the carb lid.. thanks for that.

sorry it’s off topic but can you pressure ferment in a keg ? i like to make my first lager on the weekend...

Well I find opposite I have 2 MJ kegs and I find the disconnects a prick to get off at times

Bribie,

A better option for single batch pressure ferments is to call Ibrew on the Gold Coast , they stock a 26 ltr kegmenters which is perfect size for what you want/need.

Cheers

Spoke to ibrew. February but they'll be going up to around $240.

Hell, if we are talking about the 26l kegmenter then that’s a $42 increase?

Yeah that's getting expensive mine cost me a bomb in postage costs to get them to tassie

I've got a few KK and one MJ, the MJ has a straight dip tube which angles directly to the centre of the base instead of the curved KK ones. I had to ream out the dip tube hole with a drill bit as it would bind when removing the tube for cleaning. Definitely easier to remove posts without the rubber handles in the way.

A full MJ keg is a little more difficult to slide into a tight space between other kegs in the keezer as it only has the one handle and hangs at a slight angle when it's full, but it's not too bad. Aside from that another minor difference is the lack of a tab under the lid to attach a bag for keg hopping on the MJ vs the KK, if you're into that kind of thing.

Not much in it really.

Back