Nelson Sauvin overpowering my Fatter Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakers

Reaction score
Trying my first bottle of this version of a Fatter Yak recipe.

Fatter Yak version.png

To me it tastes like the Nelson has overpowered the recipe a bit. It's not a particularly pleasant drinking experience. It tastes overly dry, fruity and a bit oily as if he hop oils are covering my tongue. It's only been in the bottle a week and it also tasted like this out of the fermenter. Earlier in the fermentation before I dry-hopped it tasted really good. What are the experiences of other brewers out there with this hop? How much will it improve? Is it the dry hopping that has stuffed things up? Given the small amount go dry hopping i wouldn't have thought so.

I BIAB. It fermented for 11 days at 18C with dry hop for last three. I cold crashed for 3 days. OG 1050 FG 1015.

Ah timing! Just put a fatter yak clone in the what's in the glass thread. It's delicious. I used cascade and NS no dry hop, so that is probably your problem but time in the bottle will help things mellow a bit.
mckenry

yeah agreed with timing...

my first extract was bittered with POR and then Cascades as aroma/flavor

even at day 20 in the bottle they tasted like VB the POR were really overpowering

now at day 36 they taste quite nice, (a little too nice :chug: :drinks: :blink: :kooi: :super: ) the cascades are quite potent.... but im guessing that they will die out a bit and the bitterness may come back

threw 5 in the taste at 60 and 90 day cupboard.....

all will be documented...

The one thing you will learn with this hobby is patience.
You just said the first beer you tried is the worst - unpleasant

AND I BET

you'll say the last one is the best beer you've ever had

-=Steve=-

Yeah, I guess being on my fourth AG I'm still a bit impatient. I like to taste the wort during fermentation, at bottling and most probably too soon after bottling :unsure: . I'll try to learn to hang on a bit longer before passing judgement. My usual expectation is for the beer to taste pretty good on bottling and just improve from there. Maybe some styles just need that bit longer before it's even worth trying to guess how good they'll be.

Oakers.

Only been in bottle a week is it even carbed?

dry hopped nelson can seem pretty harsh and overpowering when the beer is green but as others said it just needs time
it will need at least 2 weeks preferably 3 or 4 before it starts hitting its prime.

it ages well so make sure to hide a bottle away

glad you liked it too mckenry

Just tried a bottle of Little Fella's LCPA clone-ish after one week in the bottle. Its not quite at full carb, still very round/fat tasting, hops are actually muted, generally lacking in crispness.

Is that a problem?

Nope

I usually taste one bottle early to get an idea about profile and faults. In three more weeks it will be a totally different beast. In two months drinking beautifully.

Its the price you pay for bottling beer.

Stew

You might be finding out you don't like NS. Some don't.

Oakers said:
Trying my first bottle of this version of a Fatter Yak recipe.

attachicon.gif
Fatter Yak version.png
Unusual not to see any Cascade in the recipe...at least I think it is...i'm missing the recipedb something bad.....

Is it a deliberate omission in this case?

I subbed Centennial for the Cascade....other than that recipe is fairly close. I too am missing the RecipeDB :(

Back