Nelson Sauvin hops anyone ever used them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mosto said:
I think the Pilsner Kiwifirst may be referring to could be Macs Hop Rocker,
I tried that this trip and that wasn't too bad. The one I was thinking about could have been a Tuatara Pilsner, but it would have been a couple years back now.

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, has by some, said to taste of cat's piss on a gooseberry bush. I reckon the hop is well named. Blend and go sparingly at first. Mellows after a while in my opinion to something better. Geez bloody wine again.

I fell into the trap of mores better using NS in a simple APA. It's not. The fruity, winey flavor kicked the shit of malt and turned it into an unbalanced fruit salad.
A fruit salad of lemon, bitter melon and grapefruit.
It's just drinkable.

Yeah...NS is not the best hope for high IBU late addition beers...a bit like POR...

But when used properly , like POR it is good.

Nah, I enjoy that winey taste in the back of a summer ale or a saison. Definitely for light drinking beers, or if you are Kooinda a black IPA.

Used 12 grams last weak in a 150 lashes clone recipe I got from Mark. Smells good at this stage.
Kev

12g should be ok,

I used 20g as a 0min addition along with cascade, the aroma was awesome, but I found the flavour too winey.

Give it time though if its too much as it mellows well.

Wow. I use 50g at 7 mins, 50g at 3 and 50g at flameout in a 20l batch.

Guava is what I get. Similar to passionfruit.

The beer takes on the catty/cat piss smell.

Then a month later is amazingly refreshing.

Ties with amarillo as my favourite hop.

slcmorro said:
I've got a DSGA hopped with NS and Cascade, 10gm of each at 20 no-chill and it's fine. NS can be mega overpowering, but used in small amounts it adds complexity in my limited experience. Don't stress.
spot on! with the cascade it works fine in my experience....

Well for anyone that cares I finally tasted my brew today. It was a coopers original lager with 1kg BE2 and 250g DME. I dry hopped with Nelson on day 7 and left them in there for 5 days. I went a bit pussy on the amount i used (10g) because of the mixed response I got on here about them. They have been described as Gooseberry with cat piss and white wine. I hate white wine and when I bottled it I could definately get a strong whiff on champagne. Fortunately the finished product doesn't smell of white wine but does smell and taste a little like gooseberry (without the cat piss thank god). Would I use Nelson again? Hell yes. Maybe next time I'll use a little more.

Oh yeah and I didn't bag them when I put them in. I chucked them in nude............................................... sexy

You either like them or don't. I have had over 200g in a 20lt batch.

They are a polarising hop like Amarillo.

Women love them too.

Back