Nelson Sauvin hops anyone ever used them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heshtek

Reaction score
Got some Nelson Sauv hops on ebay. The breakdown is they were cheap but 2013 stock. Vacuum sealed so hopefully they are ok. It was an impulse buy and I hope they are ok. I suppose i mainly wanted to use them as an aromatic hop rather than a bittering hop. Has anyone had any experience with them? There doesn't seem to be much info on them kicking around the interweb at the moment.

good for bittering. Acquired taste when used as a flavour hop.

You either love it or hate it.

Single hop and enjoy it.

There's plenty of info out there on the interwebs.

Local manly brewery, Dad&Dave's has a beer called #1 Pale ale.... It's a SMASH Nelson pale ale...

Quite a Fruity flavour, I get passionfruit, but could be off the mark.

Do you like Fat Yak ?

If so, your answer lies somewhere in that stubby.

CF

CrookedFingers said:
Do you like Fat Yak ?

If so, your answer lies somewhere in that stubby.

CF
Maybe if you can find one that's been in a fridge for a few years... Insipid shit these days

I brought a six pack of pilsner over in NZ that was heavily dosed with them. i struggled with it, tasted like my wife had tipped her wine into my glass.

If i was using them for the first time, i would be erring on the side of caution with my amounts. Maybe one pellet in a stainless steel air tight container?

Seriously though, they are a unique taste, i can taste a fruity sav blanc flvour, certainly when the beer warmed up some, i found it over powering, which meant i drank them quick out the fridge as cold as possible.

i think it clear, that i wasn't a fan. But that isn't to say i wont try with them on a maltier beer, but not with a crisp pilsner.

To my tastes it is incredibly winey. Not a big fan. Have used them a couple of times but probably wouldn't again. Have tasted some decent darker beers which hide some of the winey taste but nothing to make me buy another pack. Plenty of other hops which I prefer, but it's a personal thing.

Hmm maybe not what i was hoping for but at least I didn't pay too much for them. Thats what you get for buying things on ebay after having a few :)

I agree with lukiferj. If I had some to use, (like if I just brought them on ebay) I would use them in something bigger than a standard ale. I think they could add some interesting flavour in the background to a big malt bill, just to add a bit of fruitiness, I think that is your best bet IMHO, try to hide the wine flavour and only bring out the fruit.

Christ this feedback is not good. Sounds like I've bought the worst hop available.

I like it.
Don't go heavy with it.

Try and find recipes that use it and have a crack !

CF

heshtek said:
Christ this feedback is not good. Sounds like I've bought the worst hop available.
Like galaxy, can be used well in moderation, it doesn't go well in large doses, a little will go a long way, I've used it to good effect with pine hops in the past, Chinook, simcoe but haven't used it in over a year I rekon.

It's not a bad hop if you treat it with respect.

Used Nelson Sav when it first came out....6yrs ago

Very strong.

Not a hop I would use for flav or aroma.

Use it like POR...but the name gives an indication to its strong flavour.

I've got a DSGA hopped with NS and Cascade, 10gm of each at 20 no-chill and it's fine. NS can be mega overpowering, but used in small amounts it adds complexity in my limited experience. Don't stress.

Latest posts

Back