Nelson Sauvin Flavor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellnaf

Reaction score
I did a half size BIAB of the Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale, it's been in the bottle for a couple of weeks so I thought I'd try one out. It had the strongest peachy taste to it, my wife agreed and added that it definately has a stone fruit flavor to it. However after reading about this hop it says that the predominant flavor is grape. I totally dislike the taste but my wife loves it. Just wondering if others have tasted the peachy/stone fruit flavor in this hop??

Thanks
Nathan

yeh I made one of these a while ago. Definitely has stone fruit flavor.. Its quite an unusual tasting hop IMO.

I remember at the Aus Beer Festival last year, after trying many beers, I tried a beer full of Nelson Sauvin (can't remember what), and the flavor was really strong. Same stone fruit type flavor.

I find NS quite melony (watermelon) and winey. Luuuuuuuuuuurvely hop :)

Try a Knappstein Grand Reserve Lager, it's done with NS and is a bloody ripper.

cheers

Browndog

Passionfruit to the hilt for me. I also did this brew (as my first AG) and thought I could detect stone fruit/peach in fermenter samples, but it matured into passionfruit in not too much time. Cracked one open last night alongside a Knappstein - I'm curious to know their hop schedule, as it's a lot more complex.

Yum! :super:

I did a half size BIAB of the Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale, it's been in the bottle for a couple of weeks so I thought I'd try one out. It had the strongest peachy taste to it, my wife agreed and added that it definately has a stone fruit flavor to it. However after reading about this hop it says that the predominant flavor is grape. I totally dislike the taste but my wife loves it. Just wondering if others have tasted the peachy/stone fruit flavor in this hop??

Thanks
Nathan

My other half quite likes a brew I made with NS as well, certainly on the repeat list

The flavor is so intense. Even though I didn't like the flavor, it certainly showed me what a hop can do.

Some people take the 'less is more' approach to NS- if you cut it back it will be more of a subtle flavour in the beer rather than a real punch in the face.

I made an Oktoberfest with Nelson Sauvin.

For the first 2 months it was tough to drink, the hops were over the top but then it started to mellow out. The last few pints were damn tasty, always the way. 35 pints of so so beer, a few pints of wow beer. :rolleyes: :lol:

Agree that less is more with this hop.

I love the hop it's beautiful and yes it throws lot's of different flavours. I did the exact thing with that hop in a Summer ale... it can be a little to fruity and take over the beer. Still enjoyed it though. Ive mixed it with galaxy and that worked well. Im interested in trying it with cascade... as Im a fan of the Fat Yak. I wonder what Amarillo and Nelson would be like?

It should mellow. When I brewed my first NS beer (Ross' NS Summer Ale actually) I was actually kind of grossed out by it for the first couple of weeks, then it improved. To be honest, I got old cat litter box (cat pee, ammonia) more than anything. It did mellow to a peachy/grapelike aspect which was very nice but it took time. I also found that if I used it for bittering that the beer took on a really intense black pepper burn when young. Thankfully this also disappeared over time.

I quite like NS mixed with other things. I mixed it with Glacier and Target in an IPA and that turned out really well. I recently brewed a barleywine and mixed NS with B Saaz, Columbus and Cascade. It's still pretty young but it definitely has a distinctive but really nice aroma and flavour.

Tastes a bit like Sauvignon blanc from Nelson.

More is less, makes a good IIPA.

amarillo, cascade and NS.... yumbo! that will be the beer after I brew the Rooks Alt beer. three more weeks to brew day. After Easter Perth goes to sleep so Ill finally have time to brew.

If you want to try a Stonefruit Overload

D Saaz + Nelson Sauvin

Peaches, Nectarines as well as the ubiquitous grapeyness.

Hmmmmm - might have to put some water on.

RM

I have 90g of this waiting.. anyone suggest a nice extract/K&Bits receipe?

It was Ross' recipe that I did, I think I will do it again but with less hops, or add some cascade. I'm moving house so don't have the time yet, I'll be setting up for AG once the move is done. Gonna be fun moving all my stock, I'm not a big drinker but I'm a big brewer, so there's a shipload.

Nathan

HA I drink more then I brew unfortunatly...

off topic but can every body reduce there size of there pictures in signatures... I stopped reading picture books years ago...

Latest posts

Back