Nelson Sauv Pale Ale Update.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondy

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I put down a simple Pale Ale after posting recipe and method (as I was brewing).
Thanks to those who contributed.
Here are the results for anyone who might be interested.

Recipe:

1kg light dry malt
1kg Morgans brew enhancer - given to me, not sure what to do with it, so bunged it in
1.5kg Morgans Caramalt
250g 120 crystal

30g NS at 60 mins
20g NS at 15
10g NS at 5

Used recovered and washed White Labs Irish Ale yeast, in a malt starter.

IG was 1.051
FG was 1.012

Put most in keg (not yet tasted) and rest in bottles.

Just tasted first bottle (after 11 days...yeah I know, but I couldn't wait).

Nice light tasting amber ale with a hint of grain and some residual sweetness (Maybe from crystal???).
Not as bitter as I would have liked, but still quite balanced. Good summer ale.
Could do with a tad more complexity, but it's a simple recipe and it's produced a clean beer.
Some minor 'green beer' characteristics that another couple of weeks in the bottle should round off.
Good yeast flocculation already, with no finings added to the bottles ( I fine direct to keg. Not sure if that's the best thing to do, but seems to work for me).

The brew pre-bottling/kegging had massive passionfruit and tropical aromas.
Quite a lot of this has dissipated in the bottle. Still there, but not as spectacular.
Will be tasting the keg in next week or two (just finishing off a rather ordinary dark ale), so will be interesting to see difference. Maybe a touch more aroma??? Will consider dry hopping next time.

I think I'll stick with the single hop theme for my next beer.
I have some simcoe, so will give that a try with same/similar recipe. Experimenting with single hops like this should give me a solid idea of flavours and aromas for down the track when I try out AG for first time. With results like this Nel Sauv brew, it will be fun drinking (and sniffing), too.

Aiming to put down next brew this weekend. It seems to take me about 3 weeks to a month to get through a 19 litre keg....is that quick or slow...?

Aiming to put down next brew this weekend. It seems to take me about 3 weeks to a month to get through a 19 litre keg....is that quick or slow...?

When i was new to kegging, i would often knock off a keg a week by myself, which meant a constant cycle of brewing. Nowadays, the novelty has worn off and i brew to taste. I probably average quite similar to you, but as it gets hotter i have been known to very easily fall back into my old ways.....

If it's poker and darts night, a keg disappears very quickly, probably go through 1 1/2 to 2 kegs between 5 people over an 8 hour period.

At the end of the day, it is what it is....If you love your beer, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you get through it. (as long as you have the means to keep a constant supply of course...)

cheers,

Nath

Latest posts

Back