Nelson Mandela dies, aged 95

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DU99

Reaction score
Nelson Mandela, the great anti-apartheid leader who inspired a nation, has died at the age of 95, following a long battle with illness.
South African president Jacob Zuma has announced he died on Wednesday 5 December.
The former South Africa president, who served 27 years in jail for conspiring to overthrow the white-minority apartheid government, spent three months in a Pretoria hospital earlier this year battling a persistent lung infection.

Mandela’s health had improved enough to allow him to return home in early September, although the presidency had described his condition as ‘critical but stable’ since June.

His family previously told of how the liberation struggle icon had continued to put up a courageous fight, even on his ‘deathbed’.

Mandela sadly passed away today, leaving the world in mourning.

South Africans had begun to come to terms with the mortality of their first black president and father of the "Rainbow Nation", following a string of health scares in recent months.

It was the fourth hospital stay since December 2012 for the Nobel peace prize laureate after he was discharged in April following treatment for pneumonia.

However, his last hospital stay was his longest since he was released from prison in 1990, after serving 27 years under the apartheid regime.

Earlier this year US President Barack Obama led the tributes to Mr Mandela on his 95th saying, “We will forever draw strength and inspiration from his extraordinary example of moral courage, kindness and humility.

Oh shit. I knew I'd get all teary when this day came. Travel well Mr. Greatness. You were incredible. Damn.

"He is now resting. He is now at peace. Our nation has lost its greatest son. Our people have lost a father. Although we knew that this day would come, nothing can diminish our sense of a profound and enduring loss."

President Jacob Zuma

The bastards locked him up for a quarter of a century, deliberately infected him with TB ... they never broke him, and he went on to forgive them.

One of the greatest human beings ever to live.

mankind today is poorer for the loss but much richer that we knew him and of what we learned from him

An honourable man and died with dignity.

To be able to say I lived in a town and when I went everyone wept for me is good. To live in a country and be able to say the same thing is great. To have the whole world weep is something unknown in all the annals of history. There simply is not a superlative to describe what he left. He is now of the ages but his legacy is of the future.

free, free, he's been set free....

a greater man we will never see....RIP Nelson

Back