Needle Valve Control For Burner Q's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a couple of quick questions.

Is anyone using a needle valve to control their burner? I've just been tossing up ideas of how to remount my burner in my new stand and I already have a needle valve here and some 1/4" copper left over from another project, so I was just wondering if anyone has used a needle valve to control a NASA or three ring and what sort of flame control have you got out of it. A lot of the yanks use ball valves for their NASA but I suspect very poor control with this valve. I'm also assuming 1/4" pipe and 1/4" needle valve would have more than enough flow. But does anyone have first hand experience.

Reason being, if I could get sufficient control using one needle valve I'd prefer to control the burner from a more remote place using one valve instead of the three valves currently on the burner, plus I would mount the burner a little differently (losing access to the taps). Plus I'd have the benefit of standing my gas bottle further from the burner and the rubber hose gets further from the heat.

Can anyone offer any advice or first hand experience.

Cheers, Justin

N.B. Not long till the unveiling of the new set up and the first break in run :super: .

Ok, I managed to track down some references to people doing the same as I am proposing here. Appears to work extremely well giving very precise flame control. Guess that answers my questions but if anyone wants to comment further feel free.

Cheers, Justin

G'day Justin.

How would a good old-fashioned gate valve go?

I'd imagine you'd get a finer control over the flame than a ball-valve? I could be totally wrong too. :unsure:

Hurry up and post them pics. :beerbang:

Warren -

Yeah, possibly but I'm not sure what kind of gas seal you'd get with a gate valve. You can get gas rated ball valves but I think they are more designed for ON/OFF applications rather than situations where you might like to feather the control it a bit. As I said I already have the needle valve I was just wondering if anyone used one and what sort of control they had over the flame. The few references I found on google suggest really good control (that's pretty much what they are designed for).

Piccies soon ;)

Cheers, JD

Latest posts

Back