• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Needed Beer Bottles S.a

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeemann

Reaction score
Hi everyone , i am a wine / mead maker and am going to give Beer another go after about 10 years so am in need of beer bottles prefer long necks but stubbies ok as well , If anyone has spares to rehome FREE or at a resonable price around the Adelaide northern suburbs ( i live in Clare) i would be gratefull cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR

I have got hold of some stubbies , still looking for longnecks , what are the PET bottles like to use?

Ive used some of the PET bottles and had no problems but you certainly want to go glass in the long run.
Try your local recycling centre, free and usually easy to clean as they havent sat there long. Talk to the guys there and work best day to go.
I go to my local on a Sunday arvo and can normally match boxes to bottles to make for easier storage.

Hi Beeman,

Jump onto Brew Adelaide (linky in my sig) as plenty of locals in SA are on there who should be able to help you out with some bottles.

... what are the PET bottles like to use?
I usually fill a few PET bottles in each batch as a way to keep track how the
carbonation is progressing.

PET bottles do let CO2 & O2 slowly pass through so bottles six months and
older will go flat and O2 will get in and oxidise the beer.

I usually fill a few PET bottles in each batch as a way to keep track how the
carbonation is progressing.

PET bottles do let CO2 & O2 slowly pass through so bottles six months and
older will go flat and O2 will get in and oxidise the beer.

Cheers i was given 50 pet bottles but i might hold off , i cant get lids for them within a 2 hour drive of here anyway.

Hi Beeman,

Jump onto Brew Adelaide (linky in my sig) as plenty of locals in SA are on there who should be able to help you out with some bottles.

Im there cheers :icon_chickcheers:

I used to live in gulnare. I know for a fact the recycling depot at Clare will sort some longies for ya

I was also in need of bottles. Last night went out for dinner and asked the bar lady to keep me some bottles and came home with a bin bag 3/4 full. I'll be removing labels today and washing ready for sanitation.

Ask some local restaurants, I have found more than one who have been more than willing to help me out.

I didnt relise you could re use the lids , cheers found 50 new pet lids $8.00 and $10 postage :blink:
Yes, the Coppers PET bottles and lids are meant to be reusable - after
emptying a bottle of beer, give the bottle & cap several good rinses/shakes,
(soak in PBW/sodium.perc/... if needed), drain/dry and put away for use
next time - the Priming and Bottling page has links to lots of ways people
handle bottle cleaning & prep.

A tip about the PET bottle caps - when new, they have a breakoff ring around
the rim meant to help the lid screw onto the bottle securely and are just a pain
in the ahh... (PITA) so either cut/break them off when first out of the bag or
you'll need some kind of small End Nipper Pliers to cut them off neatly.

Once essentially clean, the screw caps (and crown seals) should be soaked in
sanitiser before use (even when new) - put them upside down in a bowl, fill
the caps with sanitiser and leave them while you're doing other bottling tasks.

As to how tight to screw the caps on - I use a moderate amount of force
until the caps wont turn anymore then extra force to turn it just a touch
more and that should do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back