Need to transfer without lifting fv

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron173

Reaction score
Gday all

So my situation is I have a completed cold crashed lager in an fv still at 2 deg I want to keg.

I would normally do the two gas two liquid lines with fv bit higher up than keg, then relieve bit pressure in keg and flow starts.

I cannot do this currently as I’m post operation and can’t lift the 20kg fv.

So
Was thinking

How can I do this with co2
The keg be on floor outside freezer
The fv inside freezer on floor

Thinking spunding valve on keg set at its current 15psi
Then gas on fv set so spunding Vv not passing.
Connect the beer out floating fv connector to keg inlet
Thinking this should allow a pressure of 15 psi on top beer to transfer
Poss reduce pressure if too much..

Can anyone see any flaws in my theory?

What could possibly go wrong🤔😊

Cheers

What about a siphon hose? Something like this.

Otherwise, have you got a mate you can ask to help out?

Yeah thanks mate, but to syphon it still needs lifting above the other, that’s why want to use co2 to push over the freezer lip.
Can’t get a lift with it, live out town

You can do it with gas if you have the correct hoses and fittings, just like a keg to keg transfer. you just need a small pressure difference to do this, if you put the spunding valve (you might need to reduce the pressure setting slightly) on the keg recieving the beer, connect you CO2 to the fermenter (I'm assuming it is pressure rated) and wind it up to a couple of psi more than the fermenter is at, the beer will move. If you use too much pressure it may foam up in the keg as the pressure is released.

15 psi in the fermenter is quite high, your beer will be very highly carbonated,

If you rearrange p=Rho*g*h at 15 psi (103kPa), given your beer has a density of around1.010 (Rho), g is constant.
You should be able to lift your beer 103/(1.010*9.81) = 1.51 meters.
Mark

You can do it with gas if you have the correct hoses and fittings, just like a keg to keg transfer. you just need a small pressure difference to do this, if you put the spunding valve (you might need to reduce the pressure setting slightly) on the keg recieving the beer, connect you CO2 to the fermenter (I'm assuming it is pressure rated) and wind it up to a couple of psi more than the fermenter is at, the beer will move. If you use too much pressure it may foam up in the keg as the pressure is released.

15 psi in the fermenter is quite high, your beer will be very highly carbonated,
Ok thanks
It’s only got 15 in there cos just pressure fermented

But yeah I will drop it a bit

If you rearrange p=Rho*g*h at 15 psi (103kPa), given your beer has a density of around1.010 (Rho), g is constant.
You should be able to lift your beer 103/(1.010*9.81) = 1.51 meters.
Mark
Thanks Mark
That’s pretty scientific but I get that your working out lift head
So 1.5 mtr would easy come up and over the chest freezer it’s in so I’ll give it a crack.
Hope it doesn’t foam up, guess there’s no way to know that.

Cheers

I got this kegged successfully the other night and got a new brew on today.

It wouldn’t transfer just with gas to gas beer to beer and relieving pressure in the keg, there seemed plenty pressure but it just didn’t flow, until I applied co2 externally into the mix, as in onto the fermenter.

So still not sure why it wouldn’t flow, but I got there without any spilt beer 😊

Thanks for all the advice

as a one handed brewer, i had no alternative but to trial and error, adapt things.
lifting my 27l SS Brewbucket with one arm was a pain!
specially from Ferm fridge out then onto a shelf.
i managed clip the two ends on the SS handles. extended the harness, so it went over my good shoulder. using my good arm, swift up and out to the bottom!😂🤣 a few attempts wasn’t good but as it’s a sealed FV. it was getting up to table top.
so i adapted a shelf, height wise lower. so once the FV settled i could rack off.
As i said i have no choice, hope your Op. is successful and your back to two arms.
i use my FermZilla all rounder now. but sometime i use the SS brewbucket mini’s in same ferm fridge using the harnesses.
makes for a crazy lift.
if there’s a will you can adapt anything.
going to co2 and pressure tranfer (ok cost was high). it a game changer for me)
bri

Attachments

• DCE99184-CD32-4EAF-B45C-6CF275E1F41F.jpeg
    DCE99184-CD32-4EAF-B45C-6CF275E1F41F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • CF26A37F-B2CB-437A-934B-EB7E145DE88F.jpeg
    CF26A37F-B2CB-437A-934B-EB7E145DE88F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
also i forgot, there’s threads on the net for co2 close transfer using such FV’s as the SS Brewbuckets also other FV’s.
adaptions everything is possible🫡
Bri

Thanks
Looks like your doing well, great improvisation.
I managed with co2 ok.
I’ve no real idea how much it used, everyone seems to talk of saving co2 if doing closed, it’s only $20 for me to get mine filled n seems to last ages

Latest posts

Back