Need To Source A Fridge For Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coodgee

Reaction score
HI folks thanks for all the support on the previous thread. it's been great.

I have a fridge that is old and though it starts working it doesn't get cold. the fridge emmits a sound like leaking gas from the freezer near where the pipes come into the interior. At a guess I would say the gas has escaped through a crack/fault in the pipes. I guess it might be fixable but would probably cost more than the ~$50 that it will cost to get a whole new fridge.

so a new fridge is on the cards... it will be for fermenting so I really need to get one that can keep a stable temp of around 12-18 degrees. for this you need to replace the thermostat right?

how much does it cost to replace the thermostat and who does such a job?

does anyone have a fridge already modded for sale?

thanks for your help again guys.. I don't know why but I feel I can trust you guys...

If your fridge is well insulated, you might be able to get away with putting frozen water bottles in the fridge with your fermenter, and swapping them over every day or 12 hours, as required. I'm doing this with that '100 can Kmart cooler', and regularly achieve 8-10C below ambient. :)

Hey Coodgee,

There are a number of thermostat threads here.
Do a couple of searches on Tobins and/or thermostat and choose the results with the most number of replies and you will be overloaded with info.
Good luck.

Beers,
Doc

Back