Need to repitch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangentile

Reaction score
I put down a Russian Imperial Stout with an OG of 1.084 on Monday. Added nutrient in the boil and oxygenated it the way I normally would. Then pitched a half pack each of Windsor and Nottingham in 4.5L of wort. It took off very quickly but there hasn't been any airlock activity since Tuesday night. It's in a glass carboy so I can't easily check the gravity.

Is it likely the primary fermentation has finished so quickly? Or should I throw in another half pack of S-04?

Unless you check the gravity everyone would be guessing.

I find these very handy, it’s called a wine thief or wine thief sampler.
If you sterilise your thief and hydrometer, you can take a sample and then touch the tip of the thief on the inside of the neck and return the sample to the brew - handy when doing small batches of high gravity beers or things like mead.
Mark
1628123047759.png

Thanks for that. I tend to only do small batch of the high gravity stuff so that's come in handy.

Fast but most likely finished. Any reason you can’t put a sanitised hydrometer in the carboy to check and just leave it in till you have siphoned the beer?

I guess I could do that. I'm always loathe to do that sort of thing, but might be worthwhile. I'm planning to leave it for the full two weeks so I'm hoping it'll be fine. Thanks for your reply.

Back