Need To Know About Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
A quick one about yeast. I know the basics. Which is bugger all. :( But I want to learn. Do you guys know of any web sites which will give me a in-depth look into yeast strains used in HB. At the moment I'm flying blind and just taking whatever my HBS guy says is good. I'ld really like to understand how the different yeasts are affecting my beers.

I always use the manufacturers web sites. They should have all the info you need:

www.wyeastlab.com
www.whitelabs.com
www.dclyeast.co.uk
www.lallemand.com

Cheers Stratis. I give them a go. I would have though they would be a bit one sided though...

You should find this FAQ useful.

Beers,
Doc

Here is the Table of Contents of the FAQ

LIST OF CONTENTS:
----------------
INTRODUCTION
SECTION I: YEAST CHARACTERISTICS
ACTIVITY
TEMPERATURE
ATTENUATION
FLOCCULATION
pH RANGES
ALCOHOL TOLERANCES
SMELLS AND TASTES
OBTAINING CULTURES AND MISCELLANY
WHERE TO LOOK IN THE ARCHIVES FOR MORE INFORMATION
SECTION II: YEAST PROFILES
PART 1: DRY ALE YEAST (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)
PART 2: LIQUID ALE YEAST
PART 3: LAGER YEAST (Saccharomyces uvarum)
PART 4: WEISSEN, LAMBIC, MEAD, AND BARLEYWINE STYLES
SECTION III: YEAST MANAGEMENT
PART 1: HYDRATION PROCEDURE FOR DRY YEAST
PART 2: PROPAGATION OF YEAST STRAINS
PART 3: YEAST WASHING FOR THE HOMEBREWER
PART 4: PARALLEL YEAST CULTURES
PART 5: SEND YEAST THROUGH THE MAIL
PART 6: CULTURING FROM COMMERCIAL BEERS
APPENDIX A: WILLIAM'S WYEAST EQUIVALENCIES
EPILOGUE: KEEPING THIS RESOURCE CURRENT

View attachment yeast.rtf

I find hbd.org to be a useful site for all things beer. They have an email digest that you can subscribe to and ask questions. There are pro brewers who contribute to that list who have a lot of biology as well as brewing experience... some of the threads give you more info that you might ever have thought you would want to know, tho :)

Do you know many of the concepts such as flavour profiles? Check out bjcp.org as well, get an idea of the styles of beer and what contributions yeast make to the flavour profiles, and how attenuation effects flavour and body. Experiment with things like splitting a wort between two fermenters and pitching different yeasts, etc. There is a lot to know. How far you go depends on how much you really want to know!

BTW - you have to be logged in to see the comments.

Back