Need To Finish A Pilsener Up Quick

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Simple one guy's.
I have got a ESB 3kg Czech pilsener on the go at the moment. It has been going just fine now for 5 days, OG 1036, and i was going to rack & dry hop with Saaz after 2 weeks, for 2 weeks, then cc for 2 weeks. But i went to see the doc yesterday about my doddgy shoulder and he tells me he is going to operate on it on the 3-june.
So back to more important things, as i will not be able to lift the fermenter and bottle after this op. i need to get it finished before hand.
So should i leave in the primary for a full 2 weeks then go straight to CC and steep the Saaz in hot water and stick it straight into the CC. I thought this may be better than dry hopping into the CC.
OR
would it be better to rack after 10 days or so for a week then CC for a week or just rack for a couple of weeks then bottle?????????
I think my first option would be the go (2 week ferment then straight to CC for 2 weeks) just a bit concerned about dry hopping into CC.
What do you all think.
Also the doc said that my arm will be out of action for 3 months after the op, thats why i need to finish it up before hand.

Not good news SJW....

I would rack after 10 days - straight to cc and dry hop with saaz in the cc...

Hope this helps

I'd just leave it sitting in a dark cold cave untill your arm is better. :lol:
Seriously though i'd leave it to ferment right out then do your warm rest for 24 hours. Then rack and leave it cold untill just before your 'op' to bottle.

Jayse

jayse said:
I'd just leave it sitting in a dark cold cave untill your arm is better. :lol:
Seriously though i'd leave it to ferment right out then do your warm rest for 24 hours. Then rack and leave it cold untill just before your 'op' to bottle.

Jayse
Howdy,
I wouldn't dry hop with saaz at all. They tend to leave a VERY grassy flavour if used to dry hop

Saaz is alright. It can be grassy when over hopped or not left long enough to condition, I hear dry hopping in CC exasibates this.

I always dry hop in CC and for a pils would leave it 6 weeks if you can in CC...

it should be crystal clear, clean smooth and fantastic only problem its so good you drink it to fast :) may help with the pain!

I have a similar story yet its my eye thats getting the knife.. due to the distress i will have after seeing the knife coming at my eye untill it fills with blood, anyway the 3-5 days off work i have planed to brew over these days :) inc a lager and pils (then 6weeks CC for my bar opening :) )

always think of the positive side of life ..

Good luck with OP ben. I cant wait to get into my first Pils.

Latest posts

Back