Need Some Help With Hopping An Extract Brew Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markau

Reaction score
G'day all, hoping to get some advice on the process for making the delicious Little Creatures Pale Ale. Here's what we bought from the LHBS:

Coopers draught kit
Coopers 1.5kg wheat extract
300g dextrose
US-05 yeast
Galaxy hop flowers
Cascade hop flowers

I expect to dry hop some of the (aroma?) hops, but not sure how much. 10g Galaxy?

When preparing the wort, how should we add in the (bittering?) hops, and which ones? 10g of each? do we just steep them in hot water (how long?) to make a "tea", or do we need to boil the wort with the hops in there? (or boil the sugar + wheat malt + water + hops, then add in the draught kit)

Sorry if these questions are too broad, there is a lot of different information out there and I am getting more confused as I read more.

Cheers!

Galaxy won't make a LCPA clone but never mind I'll stick to dry hopping use approx 1g per litre.

For flavour and minimum bitterness boil hops for anything 20 mins to 5 mins the longer you boil the more bitterness you extract.

You probably need about 25% more flowers than you would with pellets for the same effect.

Click recipeDB at the top of the page and see if you can find anything in there to get some ideas.

Thanks fellas, that gives me some indication to work in.

here's my suggestions for your ingredients..

and as already mentioned, not going to be LCPA clone, but will be a good drinker..

I LOVE Galaxy bitterness and its aroma, but I think it may be a little overbearing with the Cascade (which i also like) so i've toned down the Galaxy from what i would normally use..

must mention this is all out of my head and i never pay attention to AA%'s in relation to hops, i'm just not that precise!

bring 500g of your Wheat extract and 5Litres water to the boil in a large pot

banking on a 30 min boil,

add
20 g Cascade at 30 mins
20 g Cascade at 20 mins
10g Galaxy at 10 mins
10 g Galaxy and 10g Cascade at flame out.

mix in remaining wheat extract, your Coopers can of goop and your dextrose

now, you need to cool your wort before adding your yeast.

option a) put your pot in your laundry tub, fill up the laundry tub with cold water (and ice cubes or freezy bricks) and change the water a few times over about half an hour or so... should the contents of the pot considerably put into fermenter top up with cool/cold water to 23 litres and hope you've gotten your temp around 16-20..
add your yeast, stir and ferment at 18C.

option 2 (my favourite) - get a bag of ice, dump that into your fermenter - pour your hot wort into fermenter, top up to 23litres, add yeast and stir, ferment at 18C.

hope this helps

Latest posts

Back