Need Quick Answer On Mash Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
guys i started my 60 minute mash but forgot to start timer, does a 5 or 10 min mash time over or under make a difference,
is it better to be over 60 minute mash or under. making screwys red ale.
fergi

guys i started my 60 minute mash but forgot to start timer, does a 5 or 10 min mash time over or under make a difference,
fergi

5 or 10 minutes over wont make any difference. Better to be over to give the grains time to convert.

fergi

Just start the clock from wherever you are now. If you go over it's no drama for your beer. I mashed for 60min the other day then went to sparge but found I'd forgotten to refill the urn after dumping in the strike water (whats that about no beers til first hop addition? ;)) Had to wait another 30min for the sparge water to heat, ended up being a 90min mash. No probs.

Mashed for 135 min this morning cos i wanted to go back to bed and sleep some more after a later night and no children or wife in the house.Joy of doing 5 steps with a set and forget.

I have heard of people who mash overnight.

Yeah the more i read the more that sounds like a bad idea. iv done it once of twice and nothing went astray, but that was back in the day.

Latest posts

Back